1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eden WT 400 and DBX Comp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 2string1, Dec 15, 2013.

1. 2string1

2string1 Supporting Member

Had the Eden and DBX comp in a 6 space rack and it work great. The DBX was 2 spaces from the Eden. Change to a 4 space rack and the Eden and DBX are stacked together. I get a ground hum noise this way. If I take the DBX out and put it on top of the rack case I get no ground hum noise. What could it be?
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Sounds like perhaps the transformer in the DBX is giving off some RF or 60 hz hum. It might just be in the wrong location when paired to your Eden where it's RF is susceptible to being picked up. You could try to mound the DBX under the Eden.

If your a DIY tech you could try to relocate the DBX's transformer within the chassis or even try adding an RF shield around it... just thinking out loud here...

Edit - oh, I just remembered there's a trick to reducing hum in the WT400 where the tech would loosen the toriodial transformer and rotate it 30 degrees then retighten. It could be the fields of both transformers are adding and creating a hum large enough for the tube to pick up??? Not really sure.
  3. 2string1

Thanks I will try locating the DBX under the Eden.
  4. 2string1

Doesn't matter where I put it in the rack,as soon as I tighten the rack screws down I get a hum.
  5. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Ok. Assuming you have them plugged into the same receptacle, It sounds like you have a grounding problem.

Can you try to plug in the dbx into a groundless plug? There's a few ways to do this, plug it into a cheap extension cord or power bar that has a ground plug removed. If you can find an extension cord that will allow it, plug the dbx in upside down so the ground plug isn't inserted. Theres also old adapters available that convert two slot plugs to three that will work. Are there any dollar stores in your area?

If you do manage to do this I suspect it will isolate the ground noise meaning you likely have a ground wire off or poor connection in either the head or compressor.

I wouldn't recommend this for long term use but it will confirm a grounding issue in either the amp or dbx.
  6. 2string1

Thanks I'll give it a try...