1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eden WT-550 vs Thunderfunk TFB-550.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jun 8, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

Has anyone bee able to A/B these two?

If so, how would you characterize the difference in sound? Which one seems to have more power ie. louder?

I might pull the trigger on an Eden 550 but from what people say, the Thunderfunk is worth every penny.

:confused:
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I use a TF550 regularly, and used an Eden400 for quite a while... I've also recently played the 550.

They are both great heads... about the same price (I think the TF might be slighly less expensive than the Eden550 disounted), about the same weight, with the TF being slightly larger.

The Eden will put out some additional watts into a 2ohm load... the TF will only run at 4ohm minimum... no big deal.

Both are very well made, and it's very easy to dial up a decent tone with both of them (the 'enhance' control work very similarly on both and that control goes a long way in dialing up a decent sound quickly).

Sound... the main difference to my ear is that the Eden has that classic Eden mid presence built in... very warm and punchy. The Eden has the tube preamp whereas the TF is all transistor... however, I don't hear a lot of 'tube' in the sound (versus, for example, the Mesa Mpulse or Walkabout). The TF is a little more 'flat' to my ear than the Eden.. very even across the entire spectrum. Volume levels seem very similar to me, although I have not had them side by side at the same time at volume.

So, to me, they are very similar heads.... I've obviously chosen the TF. With the Switch option, it seems to get a little bit more 'hi fi' if you need it to be, and I like the idea of giving smaller companies my business if I can. Plus Dave at Thunderfunk is amazing and the service is great.

You would be happy with either one :)
  3. msquared

msquared Supporting Member

All other things being equal, picking the small company whose designer is an occasional Talkbass poster over picking the big company is my choice.
  4. pwc

pwc

The Thunderfunk website has a nice shot of the back of the TFB 550 but I can't find one of the front. I expect the front is basically the same as the 420, but I'd like to see a photo with the 'switch' installed.
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The front of the 420 is identical to the 550. The switch is just a small metal toggle switch that Dave installs in the upper right hand corner of the front of the amp. I have one of the early ones... I have a feeling he will make it look a little slicker, and maybe has already. It does look a little bit like an 'add on'... but it's very, very small. The effect of the switch is very subtle, but to me, it's worth the $75.
  6. slinkp

slinkp

I have a TF420 and an old WT300. I like both, but I prefer the Thunderfunk for a couple reasons:

- it's louder (maybe not an issue when comparing the two 550's)

- in spite of the transistor-vs-tube thing, the TF to my ears gets slightly more raucous when you push the input gain hard. The Eden doesn't really overdrive much - it's a "clean tube" preamp sound.

- The limiter on the TF is faster. With the Eden compressor, there's an awfully strong attack - too much for my taste, it's too "effect-y". The TF doesn't do that. On the other hand, pushing the TF limiter hard gives you more distortion, but to me that just makes it rock more :)

- The "timbre" knob is a really handy feature.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1
  8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

Thanks,

How would you compare the warm tones on both amps? Are they quite similar?
  9. G

G

Yeah, but you can change the tube in the Eden...
  10. michele

michele

The TF doesn't distort at all, even with extreme gain/limiter settings. There's a good explanation of how this knob works on the TF Owner Manual (see it on line at www.thunderfunk.com). Anyway, yeah ... it rocks!
  11. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I've been playing the TFB420 for over two years now (hey, I'm even an endorser!). I've used it on tons of gigs, in some cases with no PA re-enforcement (e.g., at BB Kings in NYC, a good size room with a high ceiling) and in the studio. My Eden experience is limited to just using a WT400 in the studio.

I find both amps to be warm, but in my limited experience with the Eden I think the TFB can cut through a little better. Maybe it's the "raucous" comment made earlier, with which I would agree. The Eden is more "polite".

I typically run my TFB preamp gain at 3/4 (roughly #8 on the dial) with passive J electronics and it just starts to grind nicely there.

/rick
  12. slinkp

slinkp

Regardless of what the manual says, mine definitely distorts when you push the limiter hard. It's easily audible.

With the limiter off, though, it's pretty clean even at max gain.