Eden WT 800...Hot? Farting Out

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Already In Use, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Already In Use

Already In Use

Worked my Eden WT800 pretty hard today in a warm ballroom on stage. The fans comes on pretty quick. The rig started fating out(lack of a better term)..Like the sound you get with a bad battery in an active bass. Into a 4hr show rehearsal. The amp cooled down and worked OK again.

I have a new tube coming in. The amp is in a pretty tight Gator road case. I havent reversed the fan. I am going to put the new tube in, reverse the fan a drill a few air holes(smallish) in the top of my Gator case to enhance airflow. Am I on the right track?

I dont have the 2 to 3 week turn around to have my shop look at it as our show is the 12th and we have 4 rehearsals before then.

If ir craps out completely I can rent a sub. Anybody else have their WT800 exhibit the same problem? What was the cause/causes? The solutions? Thanks...in a bit of pinch right now...been a long day. Peace!:bassist:

2. Mykk

Mykk

"farting out" is usually a term referring to speaker distortion. I wouldn't imagine a head distorting at the same volume levels once it's warmed up. You may want to figure out if it's the head or the speakers/cabs. However I don't have experience with Eden heads, just the DI. The DI will distort easily with to much gain

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Any amp with a tube or tubes should not be in a "tight" rack case. I would say you are on the right track but make it more than a few small holes. Look for the air intake and exhaust on the head and drill holes to line up with them.

4. Already In Use

Already In Use

Ok...thanks a bunch..going to get after it tomorrow morning. :hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Already In Use

Already In Use

It worked fine...farted out...worked fine once cooled down. I'm not at all near the levels this rig can put out..I'd say maybe at 50% master volume..40% on the gain knob and my passive bass is at about 50%(given zero is off and 100% is max gain.

I'll start with the simple fixes. Peace!;)

7. onosson

onosson

I've had similar experiences with two different WT400 heads. From my experience there are specific thresholds at both the input gain and master volume, beyond which you will experience what you are describing. Even moderate eq settings can significantly alter where those thresholds are. It's the one drawback of the Eden heads, at least for me, which has lead to me favouring my MarkBass head more these days - not as good tone, but more usable tone.

8. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Supporting Member

The standard protocol, items 1-4 below, espoused regularly on the Eden forum:

1) Buy Caig's DeOxit D5.

2) Clean every input, output, and pot thoroughly, on both front and back panels.

3) Clean tube pins and socket, making sure tube is seated.

4) Clean again.

5) Clean all connecting cable ends.

6) Clean bass output jack and pots.

7) Make sure 9v battery in bass is fresh, if applicable.

Many miracle cures have occurred following the protocol. Of course, this assumes proper ventilation and functioning tube. . .

9. Already In Use

Already In Use

Cool info...Thank you very much. Use the F5 product to both clean and lube? That Caig's site is super!

10. Already In Use

Already In Use

Took the amp apart this am. Tightened everything up..input jack was loose....reversed the fan...drilled strategically placed holes in the Eden cover and matched up the same holes in the Gator case...will install the new tube...clean her all up and hope for the best! Thanks!

11. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

These amps are known for intermittent faults once warmed up because of the mounting of the pre-amp power drop resisters. The power drop circuit design coupled with the resister mounting chosen by Eden is problematic. There are a few threads on it in the interwebz.

Here's one:

http://ivanrichards.com.au/2012/10/09/mod-for-the-david-eden-wt800-bass-amp/

I think there are a couple more over on Eden's Forum as well...

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Why did you reverse the fan???

13. Already In Use

Already In Use

The fan blew air into the unit. I reversed it per reading about heat issues online. It now blows out...like other amps I have. I'm hoping with the extra holes I placed both in my Gator case and the Eden cover....cool air will be sucked in and then blown out the back of the amp.

14. Already In Use

Already In Use

Very cool stuff! I've saved the page and will follow up on this if my airflow fix doesnt work. Thank you very much!:bassist:

15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

16. Already In Use

Already In Use

Very cool. This supports the above post regarding the heat sinks. I feeling certain I have this problem. My WT is dated 1997. I emailed those cats in AU to see if I can buy the heat sink. Thanks..This site rocks! Peace!:D

17. Already In Use

Already In Use

Ivan Richards answered my email really quick. He sent me a detailed instruction sheet on how to build that mod. Along with the photos he said my Eden tech can build the same thing with ease.

Thanks again!

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Yep, once it got fixed the tone and head room where night and day from before.
    I would still like to have an 800 but hey, the wt550 to 600 specs has done the job for me these past years. I run a VT bass into it all the time now.

19. Already In Use

Already In Use

i'm probably going to rent a head for this upcoming show. I have TE 715 but the band doesn't like it..they like the 4 10. I'm glad to have the help here to identify the problem and the fix. our local Eden repair shop is always 2 to weeks out.

20. murphy

murphy

One other issue to consider.
    Check your speaker cables.....connectors...and wiring of them.
    Is the amp bridged?

21. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Have you ever stopped to consider the fan you reversed might have been intended to blow air on something?