Eden WT550 users!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy;
    got one coming;
    always wanted to try one to side by side with my Mesa Walkabout.
    I know they'll sound different, but I was curious about side by side power, performance, and 2 ohm stability.
    The Walkabout has always been just enough, or, not quite enough power. And: dead stable at two ohms, even when pistol whipping it all night.
    I don't remember hearing any WT550 power, or, reliability gripes, as there were with the WT800 there for a minute a few years back...

Feel free to spout off your WT550 experiences whilst I wait.
  2. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I had one for a while about 8 - 9 years ago,, It sounded great.. One of may FAVE tones up to that date.... I ran it at 2 ohms with no issues at all... Mostly ran it at 2.6 into a varied of cabs from aggys to ampeg and bagends... The 550 was on loan while my WT800 that failed over and over again. I finally got rid of all Eden.

Tonally the WT550 was great... and just thick and full... I got a TF after that and was very disappointed.. The WT550 was louder than the TF with much smoother EQ IMHO

The WT550 was quite possibly my fave bass tone ever.. Its been a while and i have made many changes over the years.. .and i dont quite remember it exactly .. only that i was very impressed... would it work for me today? Im not sure... But it was sweet, gooey, and had authority...
  3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I have the WT-400 and a Walkabout. Because the WT-400 can only do 4 ohms my comparisons are at 4 ohms. The WT-400 feels like it has more power and actual headroom. I don't get the soft squishy effects that I do with the WA when ran at higher volumes. It's also much heavier than the walkabout mostly due to the larger transformer.

Tonewise, I'd have to say it's very forward and present without the complex mids that make the WA so revered on this site. I personally like the very controled low end of the Eden compared to the walkabout. The WT-400 seems to have a much more aggressive upper mid to my ear.

I've heard repeat comments on how the WT-550 is a little more cutting and less warm in the upper frequencies when compared to the WT-400 so I'd expect it to sound much more bright when compared to the Walkabout.

I'm excited to hear your impressions Chef! Keep us posted!
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

One of my faves also. To my ears, the WT550 sounded tighter and crisper than the WT400 or WT800 amps. Still had a good amount of warmth though too. I ran at 2 ohms many times, with no issues. Although it weighs in at about 20 pounds, I found it pretty easy to schlep in a small gig bag because of the compact form factor.
    All in all, a great amp IMO. Enjoy that amp Chef.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

I love my WT550. Great for small to middle gigs with one 210XST, but also handles all but the loudest rock gigs with 2. (At one point I had a third cab, but I only ever used it on one or two gigs.)

Excellent sound, rock solid build, at least for my B version. The tone really punches through a crowded stage mix, too. Lately, it hasn't gotten as much use as it should, but that's because I've been doing a lot more theatre and small jazz gigs, and have been spoiled by the AER.

I'll never get rid of the 550, though. It's a champ.
  7. SteveC

SteveC

I had a WT550 a while back. I agree with the above. I went to Genz Benz after I had "customer service" issues. Noting to do with the sound. It was a little heavy compared to my Shuttle, but sounded great.

After hearing an AER a couple summers ago, I am really tempted to get one as I only use an amp for "background" jazz type gigs and an AER would be plenty. Everything else is IEM/FOH and no back line.
  8. nashman

nashman

I've had mine since 2006. I have always run @ 2ohm and have never had a problem. The fan comes on a lot but for a good reason. I would be interested to hear what you think once you have done a test drive. Try mostly flat - no enhance - a click or two of bass and 3 or 4 clicks low mids.
  9. KJung

KJung

That is how I set my starting EQ on the WT400 (actually the WT300 with the custom factory upgrade to the WT400... that is how long ago it was!). Nice heads, and the WT300 which became the WT400 which became the WT550 are the 'sweet spot' in that product line-up for sure.

Classic. I remember when they came out and all of us who had been using SWR400's cried out 'MIDRANGE, thank god, MIDRANGE':D
  10. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    For sure a much different sound than the SWR Bass350 and Super Redhead a gigged for a long time.....
  11. hasbeen

hasbeen

Disclosures:
    Vice President, KMC Music Inc.
    I still have one. I agree with Kirk's summary. Good stuff. :bassist:
  12. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

chef, this is a 2 ohm load you should've heard!

this was absolutely amazing [​IMG]
  13. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

incredibly loud too!

(if thats your thing)
  14. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Media:
    I had one and it was one of my favorites. Will pick another up one day. The eq setup really allows you to zero in on a sound and the graduated pots are helpful in that regard. Those same pots seem prone to more static issues imo, but nothing a cleaning can't fix. I really liked the 1/4" headphone jack on the front panel. You will not be disappointed.
  15. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    -midi: dang! bada**.
    -pots get noisy: my wt800 did the same thing; master volume on this needs help. it may work its way clean thru use, or I may have to open it and deoxit. whichever. I mean to open it and clean it anyway.

I got very little time tonight as I had to chart stuff for a rehearsal tomorrow but:
    -yeah, it's tighter than the Walkabout. duh: most amps are ;).....brighter too, if you lean it that way. yup. fine with me
    -yessir: way more headroom than the Walkabout. I actually take this as good news as a Walkabout fan, because, clearly Mesa can build a Walkbout 750. clearly. They're the same dang size. They fit in each others gig bags!!!!!!! :^o!
    -tone: I can toooootally work with the WT550. Pretty well knew I could though; I was pretty happy with the WT800
    -WT800 vs WT550: why bother? The WT800 alwasy "felt short" for an 800 watt amp; the WT550 feels big for a 550 amp. Or, at least "a really good 550." If I'd bought the 550 years ago, I'd probably have kept it vs flipping the 800. If you've played a GK MBFussion500; well, that'd be a fair fight. Yup.

that's all for the moment.
  16. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Oh: I also take the Walkabout/WT550 size exact equality to mean....
    The WT550 will fit my Mesa Walkabout headcase.

Oh snap!

But: the WT550 gig bag is freakin' sweet. It fits without wrestling it in there, and the pouch holds everything you'll need.
  17. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

*edit- oops you said the Headcase not the combo. Ill leave the post up still

You bet Chef! I did it a while ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was one HEAVY combo though.
  18. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Chef, we've been down similar roads, seems like. Like Ken, I've had a WT 300/400 since the mid-90's. It joins only the V4B as one I won't sell (shoulda kept the Acoustic too). I tried a Walkabout but it couldn't touch the Eden for stage presence or headroom. ...great feel though.

Only an MBF500 has idled the Eden in recent years. Very apt comparison (guessing the WT 550 is on a par for loudness w/the MBF). I only switched because of the fun of on-board O-drive channel and the cool form factor, otherwise sonically I don't find them worlds apart as with comparing either with the WA.

Oh, and I think maybe the Eden wins by a hair in the high mids category ...sweet sound! Like most everybody it seems, I do roll back treble on the GK some. The Eden sounds great straight up or with just a little bumpage here and there.
  19. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    MuthaFunk:
    Hahahahahaha! I -knew- it!
  20. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Tom: I don't do the overdrive thing, and I haven't directly a/b'd the GK yet, but, what you say seems about right...
  21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I ordered a WT-550 from Gard at Bass Central when they were first announced. Then suddenly Eden disappeared - no web site, no one answering the phone, no emails returned ... so I panicked and ordered a WT-800, which Bass Central had in stock. Eventually Eden resurfaced under U.S. Music ownership and the WT-550s began shipping. I never got one, but always wished I had.

I, like many others, still have my mid-90s WT-300 which defines the Eden sound. At 11 pounds (same as a Blue Soul), it was kind of ahead of its time. This is the amp that was modeled in the first Bass POD. I think I'll dig it out of the archive and see how it sounds through my CN212. I love the Eden tone stack - it gets very close to my ideal tone when everything's at noon, and just a little tweak here and there makes it perfect. I don't think I ever had any of my EQ levels outside of the region between 11 and 1.