Eden WT550 vs. Orange BT500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jamison162, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jamison162

jamison162

Our bass player is currently gigging a Carvin BX500 but it keeps crapping out on him. I will say that it is a decent sounding amp though; we both prefer it to the Ampeg SVT450 head.

That said, he is wanting to pick up a better sounding more reliable head and is looking hard at the Orange and Eden listed above.

Any advice or comparison comments are welcomed. Any other brand at this price point worth serious consideration?
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Where to start? :confused:

There are so many considerations that you haven't (yet?) addressed: Volume requirements. Tonal preferences. Features & functions. And on it goes...

That said, "reliability" is at least objectively qualifiable. "Better sounding" is not.

MM
  3. jamison162

jamison162

Obviously were talking 500w camp here, should be plenty for a 4 piece rock band. 4x10 cab is all he uses. Tonal preference is too subjective....and based on limited experience all I can say is that he wants something that it tight and punchy, with a very balanced eq. that's gonna be heard.

Features...nothing special required. Plugs straight in, speakon out to cab, onboard eq is a given....no frills, simple, straight fwd.....just looking for good tone. No D.I. required even....we mic the cab.
  4. Basstardus

Basstardus

I had both of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

both are very loud amps, but can sound amazing room-volume, Orange is a bit dirty, has more grit to it, a bit warmer sounding. Eden has the most amazing EQ I ever heard, Orange is kind of raw in that department, it's not so effective, but on the other hand, eden's EQ is strong effective, and has a wide range of freq.

Also, Eden has an in-built studio compressor wich is really good feature

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them, it's just the matter of what sound do you like. If you wanna rock hard, go with Orange! If you like more cleaner, modern sound, go with eden. I personally play funk, so I was good with both of them, but ended up with markbass just because it's smaller and lighter...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

There are all kinds of amp heads that would meet these very simple criteria.

This could potentially include the new Class D SMPS micro-heads, each of which is rated at around 500 watts @ 4 ohms, by Gallien Krueger, Markbass, Ampeg, Aguilar - as well as Orange.

In the more traditional Class A, Class AB, or even Class G heads, there's always the GK 700RB-II, and the Eden Nemesis RS700 or EN700 - discontinued not many years ago, and still available on the aftermarket. :meh:

MM
  7. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Hmmmm why isn't he asking the question? Just asking. Depends on what he likes in terms of amp voicing. GK, Aguilar,Eden, Markbass, and don't leave out the deal/value of the day a Kustom KXB500 for much less than the others. I'm talking Micros. I personally am not trying to be James Jamerson and prefer in your face tones. I have a Tecamp Puma 500 but am seriously considering getting a GK MB500 as a backup. markbass would be my second choice for a backup.