1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eden WT800C went kaput

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Mar 11, 2014.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

MAAAAANNNNN!!!!!

So my Eden Wt800C blew up Sunday night during a concert! Talk about mad and upset!! I turned it on and immediately noticed a burning smell coming from it, and if I turned the volume past 12 o'clock, it would produce this loud squealing noise. So I turn it off, wait a minute, and turn it back on....problem seemed to go away. So I was thinking maybe it worked itself out, whatever it was. After like 20 mins, it happens again, only this time the smell is stronger. I reach back to shut it off, but before my hand gets to the switch, BAM..........it shuts off on its own (yall thought it went up in flames huh??? lol).

Anyways, I just wanted to tell somebody. BOTH of my amps need repair now, and I'll be stuck playing through the PA (bleh....). Pray for my peace of mind yall...amp repairs are no joke, and I hate not having my own amplification to play through...

2. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

UPDATE -

So like an idiot I never considered that a fuse would be blown. It was suggested to me by my best friend, an organist. Duh...why didn't I think of that lol.

All of the Eden heads already know, there fuse and spare fuse holder our built into the AC receptacle, so I just pried it open gently with a flathead, replaced the burned out fuse with the spare, reseated everything and turned the power on...

VOILA

Success!!! I'm back to normal now, thank God!

Now, who wants to trade their lightweight head for my Eden? The weight is killing me.....

3. robd

robd Supporting Member

Fuses usually don't go bad..they are circuit protection and if they blow it is normally because something else in the amp caused them to blow, and it is an indication that something is wrong, somewhere in the amp.

The replaced fuse is probably not the solution to whatever caused the burning smell and squealing noise with your amp....you might be on borrowed time.

4. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Thanks for the info, I'll take this to the local amp repair shop then, at least for a once over.

I forgot to mention that in replacing the fuse I got a closer look at the control panel. It appears that during my traveling the Bi-Amp and Bridge Mode buttons were both depressed at the same time, which is a big no no with any amp that has those capabilities. I'll try to contact Eden support too, they may be able to help.

Thanks again, I wouldn't have thought to check otherwise!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Nameless

The Nameless

The weight of the Eden is killing you? Heh... What're they feedin kids today? McDonalds Ha! C'mon, man. It can't be that heavy. An no micro sounds like these Eden heads. I use a WT600, and, am a recent Eden convert after a long search for a new tone. I tried many of the Micro heads. I will admit to a GK MB200 head beatin up on an Aggie 750, but none of the smaller heads have the ass I need fer my style of play. Failure an heat issues, funny enuff, plus brittle tone at even my relatively low stage volumes. I am interested in your findings on what exactly is wrong with your head. I haven't had any issues, but knowin what could go wrong, and what kind of fix is needed, along with the cost, may affect my long term use of my new rig. I love the sound I'm gettin. But any info on upkeep an repair is very valuable to me. I look forward to updates. An just givin ya a little heck bout the "weight" issue. I'd be far more concerned bout the "wait" issue, as in how long ta get m'amp back. Heh.

7. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Excuse me sir, my diet consist of BURGER KING and pizza, McDonalds is unhealthy...... sheesh.

So I played through the amp at rehearsal last night. I tried to play at regular volume to push the amp little. There didn't seem to be any problems although I noticed the fan didn't come on. I'm going to venture and say that's a problem, bit one I can fix myself. I'm still going to get it to a shop soon.

I have a new course of action that will mitigate the "wait" problem. I'm getting my other head repaired/replaced first. It's a Kustom KXB500 that was drooped by someone who was helping me set up. I'm going to try out the new Fender Rumble 500 since my understanding is Jeff Genzler of Genz Benz fame is the one who redesigned the amp. We'll see how that goes.

More updates to follow..........

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

In the new Fender Rumble threads, the former head designer at Genz Benz (agedhorse) said he and Jeff were not involved in the new Fender designs at all.

9. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Really? Well the guy at the music store told an untruth then lol, oh well..... Truth is I may still try one out.

10. SpottedBass

SpottedBass

Hey Nameless - I too am a relatively new convert to big older Edens and also have a WT600. Here something I just had fixed you should be on the lookout for: Resistors (there are 4 big ceramic ones) on the preamp board that get so hot that over time (around 15 years or so) will de-solder the connections and cause an intermittent short. (causing the amp to cut out, with the AC Mains light off and the EQ clip light on solid in my case). Its apparently a design defect that affects may Eden heads of that era including the WT600 and WT800 (which share the same preamp board). Fortunately, there relatively cheap/easy and permanent fix that involves removing the resistors from the board and mounting them on the chassis. No more heat issues and solid connections means a reliable amp that's going to last many many more years. Just had an amp repair shop here in Chicago do this mod for me. Dropped it off on a Saturday and had back a few days later. Awesome amp tech/shop - Patrick at Chicago Amp Works.

11. The Nameless

The Nameless

Spotted Bass? Thank you. I'd heard a bit about the resistor issue in doin research on these heads. My RR is workin flawlessly at moment. But you just reminded me about that issue, an I was havin so much fun playin this head, I forgot. Plus your experience gives me confidence it isn't a hard fix, just a necessary one. I'd love details and/or schematics on exactly what ta do. If ya getta chance? Fill me in wit deets, please. I really like the tone of this head. An the power of the eq. Stix? Sorry fer throwin "stones". I am a smart ass, an grew up playin so long ago, I was liftin gear heavier than you when I had just started. This new wave of "lighter" gear cracks me up. On one hand? Very convenient. On the other? A different sound, not better or worse, just different. Sorry fer givin ya heck.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Spotted Bass, the resistors don't cause a short when they unsolder, it's an open circuit.

OP always be careful with the bridge switch. If it is on and you use one cabinet on each channel you'll end up suffering from polarity problems.

13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/eden-wt-800-hot-farting-out-943946/index3.html

14. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

OOH. good to know! I'm coming up on about 15 years with my WT600. thanks!

15. The Nameless

The Nameless

Runlikegregg? 15 years!?! Awesome... An good to hear. I had been usin a certain company's gear for a very long time before hearin the Eden I use now. One thing you can never predict is reliability. I used my other gear partially for that reason. It always turned on. And, run wit sense and grace? Lasted forever. 15 years is a long time. My Road Runner is a 98 it would seem, but I've only had it a month... But intend on usin it fer a long while. I'd love any tips you've learned. A lot more under the hood than at first appeared. I suffer slightly from option anxiety.

An thank you, Muthafunk. I will check that link out. Immediately.

16. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Oh believe me, I know, I just didn't check after driving to Philly since I didn't think there was anything in the trunk that could press the Bi-Amp button in. I think Eden should have a recessed button like the Bridge mode button...it makes accidental presses harder to do.

I normally play one cab in Bridged mode, since the cab can handle 1200w. I don't use nearly that much, but the clarity I get is really nice.

I'm dropping the amp off at an authorized Eden retailer/repair place tomorrow, along with my other amp. Hopefully I'll get the Kustom back on Monday or Wednesday.