Eden WTB400 vs. Carvin BX500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cyclomatic, Apr 5, 2011.

Carvin BX500 vs. Eden WTB400

1. Carvin BX500 clear choice for me!

65 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Eden WBT400 clear choice for me!

61 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Sorry, only have experience with one of them.

34 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

I did search and decided a poll was in order. It's not my intention to start a gigantic thread or a heated debate. Just a poll and a few experienced guys and gals thoughts. *Disclamer: There is no right or wrong choice. Hopefully just honest opinions. ;)

Head to head let's note some differences:

Carvin BX500 $399, 300w~8ohm, 500w~4ohm/2ohm passive/active switch, mute switch, made in USA, 1yr warranty, 5.8lbs

Eden WTB400 $499, 400w~4ohm, made in China, 2yr warranty, 26lbs.(as per Eden, 15lbs elsewhere) incl. foot switch (Carvin opt.)

Similarities include compression, effects loop, tuner out, DI w/ground lift, headphone out, Speakon & 1/4" out and rack plate optional for both.

What does the experienced opinion say? Some people don't feel Carvin has been reliable in the past. Others feel weight is a major issue for them. I'd prefer to hear from those who know BOTH amps to some degree. It's taking me a long time to read through the BX500 threads (three massive ones) but I own the Carvin myself. I'm also picking up the Eden very soon. Now, I'm not asking anyone to decide for me. Of course I will do my own comparison and listen, touch, taste, smell etc. But until then I'd like to hear from those in the know......:)....Thanks gang.

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Not possible. This is the TB Amps forum. :eek:

3. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

IMO everything carvin is made on the cheap side. You compare their redhead knockoff to the real SWR and you can actually hear the poorly made circuits from carvin.

Eden, made in China or not is many miles above anything carvin will ever produce.

4. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

I can hope, can't I? :spit:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

why not buy a used us made eden?

7. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

I'm only pointing at the China or USA manufacturing as a difference. Some people have little problem with the manufacturing of Eden now in China. Still stand by it. Others say the customer service has suffered. While others say, Carvin stuff is cheaply made. I want to know what you guys think comparing these amps to each other.

8. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535 Supporting Member

There is nothing cheap about my Carvin b1500 head, its one of the most well made pieces of equipment i've ever owned, better than any eden i've had in my possession. My Carvin sb5000 also happens to be better than any other bass i've ever had, and i've had almost all the name brands out there. As far as these two amps go, I can't comment I haven't played ether one. My advice is to hear them both if you can and then make a choice.

9. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

10. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

Thanks much, the point on my head isn't sharp enough for that :oops:

11. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

That's exactly what I'll do. Sometimes other opinions give me a perspective to listen for though. Example; I like the Carvin better because I'm able to get a richer reggae tone with less hassle. Or, I like the Eden better 'cause it sounds louder/fuller paired with my Warwick cabs.

Those who know both of these specific amps may be few and far between but they're here somewhere.

12. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king. Supporting Member

All the Carvins I've ever seen or heard, whether basses or amps, have been nothing but quality. I may not have the experience other have had, but having stopped in their store in L.A. I was nothing but impressed.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Not sure what the one fellow means by "hearing Carvins cheap circuits" but I can vouch for the tone of the new Carvins and the customer service.
    My BX1200 is built like a tank and my MB10, which is a class "D" amp (like the BX500) has had no issues other than a slight vibration in the face plate (fixed).

14. impactwrench

impactwrench

15. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

Read the thread you linked...I already did. Hence, this thread and poll. :D
    Thanks to a few TB'ers I learned some tricks and have taken price matching these "hot deals" to Music123.com for some "insane deals". But we'll save that for another thread.
    Prices I listed in the opening are just regular prices.

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I can't find any reviews at all on the Eden, which worries me because it looks like a great deal and I got my finger on the button!!

:bag:

17. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Curious as to how many Carvin products you have used? If you are talking about the old Redline series, yes they had some issues but those have not been made for years. You can find pages and pages of posts from very satisfied Carvin amp users here on TB!

18. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

So far the poll is virtually even. I already know (my opinion) the BX500 is a good amp. I'm not asking for 15yr old opinions of Carvin or Eden for that matter. I'm really asking about these two specific amps in comparison. Anyone have helpful opinions regarding the WTB400?

19. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

So how's that workin' out for ya? ;)

20. mfromwhere

mfromwhere

Can't speak to Eden but I've got a 1200 watt carvin bx that I love. It's a no bs amp. It sounds good, has all the options you'd want, etc.

I've never had any qc problems with it.

21. cyclomatic

cyclomatic

Yeah, well...uh....I.....:eyebrow::meh::rolleyes::...it's only been day one.....still hopin' Growlerbox