EDEN WTDI direct to power amp...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Danho, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Danho

Danho Supporting Member

Is anyone doing this? I am in a bit of a pinch for a pre-amp, but don't want to sound like crap...

2. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

I am works great, in fact I ordered new Crest Audio ProLite 2 DSP

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Works great. I run mine into a Peavey IPR1600. I'm really impressed with the WTDI. Great Eden tone in a little box, simple effective EQ, very good build quality, IMO.

4. Danho

Danho Supporting Member

That is great news! I cannot find a simple rack mount preamp in town anywhere, but this looks promising!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Danho

Danho Supporting Member

Well... I should have done this years ago... I play upright is rock bands. With the piezo pickup and the Eden alone it was a little muddy-but in a warm way. Combined with a little extra EQ from my Fishman Pro I am pretty sure I have never sounded better.
    I am looking forward to trying it live tomorrow.
    Thank you both for the recommendation!

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Be forewarned that there have been some problems with gain staging and clipping on these units - a number of guys have encountered this problem and it's been well documented on this site. I used to own one and it sounded great BUT I couldn't for the life of me turn the gain knob up two clicks past the 8 o'clock setting or the unit would clip badly. Meaning I couldn't push a lot of signal into my power amp even with the volume knob all the way up. My solution was to put a clean boost pedal in the chain after it. Otherwise a great little box.

Lonnybass

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

I run my gain at about 9 o'clock but that gives me plenty of signal. Sensitivity of the power amp would factor in to that I suppose. The Peavey IPRs work well with pretty much any good pre.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Quick question...

Is the DI on the wtdi post or pre eq?

I assume its pre eq but want to make sure.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

So I tried the WTDI tonite. Ran it thru an ART 341 Dual EQ to my Crest Prolite 2.0. Within 3 minutes I got no sound. No signal was going to the power amp. Checked all cables and plugs everything seemed fine. Plugged the WTDI directly into the amp and it worked.

Again I learn the lesson of "Keep it Simple." Get rid of all the unnecessary bits. Glad this was just a rehearsal.

I am going back to my gkmb200 + tuner + eq pedal --> power amp.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    So, did you have enough gain just using the WTDI ?

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Yes, but two things: 1. My power amp is fairly sensitive. 2. I had an eq pedal in the chain with a slight level boost.

13. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

So the 341 crapped out? Did you lose both channels or did the whole unit stb?

I just fired up my WTDI -- haven't used it in a while. It's suddenly hissy. No problem for an amp -> cab because my tone requires no treble, and so I typically run horns' L pads way down, but no longer is this box going to work as a DI. Drat.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

To be honest, I don't know what happened, but I didnt have time to fiddle with it as the rest of the band was waiting on me.

I am debating whether to put the WTDI on my pedalboard. Hence > EQ pedal > tuner > WTDI > GKMB200 > Poweramp.

I like the idea of having it on my pedal board for those gigs where I am told "bass amp provided". You can run this thing into most amps' power section and instantly have good tone.

15. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

MB200's line out will drive the power amp, right?

I might shuffle the order or 1 or 2 things in that chain, but I'll leave that for others to comment on. The only thing I'll say is that you're really going to have to be careful with the gain(s). A WTDI, as you already know, will provide more than enough gain for most power amps. I have read stories of it not being able to drive some power amps to full output w/o distorting, but the configuration you propose is at the other extreme: it risks overloading the input of the MB200. (You've essentially chained two preamps together in series.) You're almost certain to have to engage the input pad on the 200 to keep the input level sane, as an alternative to having to run the WTDI's master and/or gain controls extremely low. You may still have to run them pretty low in their ranges. I am absolutely not saying it won't work, just that you've got a hell of a lot of gain going on there -- especially if you boost anything at all on the EQ pedal, which will add even more.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

You make some good points. This is my second WTDI. The first one I had did seem to have that gain distortion thing, but the one I have now seems fine. I will definitely engage the pad on the mb200. And yes the mb200 drives the prolite 2.0 no prob.

As far as I know the WTDI is designed to use with bass amps (?) so it should work okay.... hopefully.

Regardless I will proceed with caution.

17. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Wow it seems like the WTDIs are really hit and miss when it comes to the gain distortion thing. Really a shame.

Lonnybass

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Yeah the thing is this one sounds real good. Plus right now I am kinda of on a super clean, little colour trip so the WTDI fits the bill much better than say a VTBass DI or something like that.