EDEN WTDI direct to power amp...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Danho, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Danho

Danho Supporting Member

Is anyone doing this? I am in a bit of a pinch for a pre-amp, but don't want to sound like crap...
  2. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

I am works great, in fact I ordered new Crest Audio ProLite 2 DSP
  3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Works great. I run mine into a Peavey IPR1600. I'm really impressed with the WTDI. Great Eden tone in a little box, simple effective EQ, very good build quality, IMO.
  4. Danho

Danho Supporting Member

That is great news! I cannot find a simple rack mount preamp in town anywhere, but this looks promising!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Danho

Danho Supporting Member

Well... I should have done this years ago... I play upright is rock bands. With the piezo pickup and the Eden alone it was a little muddy-but in a warm way. Combined with a little extra EQ from my Fishman Pro I am pretty sure I have never sounded better.
    I am looking forward to trying it live tomorrow.
    Thank you both for the recommendation!
  7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Be forewarned that there have been some problems with gain staging and clipping on these units - a number of guys have encountered this problem and it's been well documented on this site. I used to own one and it sounded great BUT I couldn't for the life of me turn the gain knob up two clicks past the 8 o'clock setting or the unit would clip badly. Meaning I couldn't push a lot of signal into my power amp even with the volume knob all the way up. My solution was to put a clean boost pedal in the chain after it. Otherwise a great little box.

Lonnybass
  8. johnpbass

johnpbass

I run my gain at about 9 o'clock but that gives me plenty of signal. Sensitivity of the power amp would factor in to that I suppose. The Peavey IPRs work well with pretty much any good pre.
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Quick question...

Is the DI on the wtdi post or pre eq?

I assume its pre eq but want to make sure.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

So I tried the WTDI tonite. Ran it thru an ART 341 Dual EQ to my Crest Prolite 2.0. Within 3 minutes I got no sound. No signal was going to the power amp. Checked all cables and plugs everything seemed fine. Plugged the WTDI directly into the amp and it worked.

Again I learn the lesson of "Keep it Simple." Get rid of all the unnecessary bits. Glad this was just a rehearsal.

I am going back to my gkmb200 + tuner + eq pedal --> power amp.
  11. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    So, did you have enough gain just using the WTDI ?
  12. ::::BASSIST::::

Yes, but two things: 1. My power amp is fairly sensitive. 2. I had an eq pedal in the chain with a slight level boost.
  13. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

So the 341 crapped out? Did you lose both channels or did the whole unit stb?

I just fired up my WTDI -- haven't used it in a while. It's suddenly hissy. No problem for an amp -> cab because my tone requires no treble, and so I typically run horns' L pads way down, but no longer is this box going to work as a DI. Drat.
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

To be honest, I don't know what happened, but I didnt have time to fiddle with it as the rest of the band was waiting on me.

I am debating whether to put the WTDI on my pedalboard. Hence > EQ pedal > tuner > WTDI > GKMB200 > Poweramp.

I like the idea of having it on my pedal board for those gigs where I am told "bass amp provided". You can run this thing into most amps' power section and instantly have good tone.