1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eden WTDI Enhance knob, or Empress Para EQ tweaking?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enjoi1018, Apr 4, 2014.

1. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

So, through hours and hours of playing and some help from a Zoom B3, I've determined that I really like the different tones I can get with the Eden sound. "The Heaven" Eden WT-550 amp model on the Zoom has really opened me up to this. I assume this modeling is a fairly good interpretation of what a real Eden pre sounds like.

I have a LMIII right now. The VPF is very useful for approaching the sound I'm so close to getting, but the mid cut is centered lower that the Enhance control on the Eden pres (360 vs. 500 hz). It's just a different flavor of the same idea.

I've always wanted to stick an Empress ParaEQ in my effects loop to really be able to tweak my sound. I've also just missed out on a couple of Enablers, which at some point, I'm just gonna flat out own. I'll take my bass everywhere.

But now, with this discovery, I'm really thinking about the WTDI. I could use it to send that Eden tone to the house, as well as use the amp's EQ to change my cabs. I'll still probably gas for the ParaEQ, too.

So here's the ultimate question: would you rather have the "sound-in-a-box" approach plus the DI of the Eden, or would you shoot for the ParaEQ to shape it? I know the center points of the Eden graphs... I could theoretically easily make my own 'Enhance' with the parametric controls.

Thanks for all of your input! Steer me well! :)

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would grab the WTDI I sold my ParaEQ because it was overkill for me if you like to spend a lot time playing with various settings the ParaEQ is for you it can be adjusted until the end of time I prefer getting my tones quick.

3. enjoi1018

That makes since, thanks mjac. It's also half the price of the ParaEQ, but only about a 1/4 the control. I like tweaking, but I don't like getting lost.

I know you said the Empress can be tweaked for days, but do you think it translated to tones-for-days? I.e. is all of the control really useful?

4. enjoi1018

bump for some more input maybe? Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

I really like the WTDI, however I noticed that the Enhance introduces a bit more hiss to the signal as I turn it up. Not a big deal for gigging or with a decent noise gate.

7. newbold

newbold

Enhance on the WTDI: a little goes a really long way.

I like my WTDI - especially the bass boost feature engaged with a rolled back Low EQ.

Great little boxes.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I don't quite accept the unspoken premise of your question - and I suspect that you're comparing apples with oranges. :eyebrow:

IMO, you haven't made the case that a preamp/DI box with a baked-in voicing (the WTDI) can be used interchangeably with, or made to function as a substitute for, a high-end EQ effect (the Empress). They're two different types of boxes, they're designed to serve different purposes...and in my observation, they do.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much you tweak your EQ...because there are elements of the WTDI sound that are not a function purely of EQ, hence are not dependent upon EQ.

MM

9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1. If it tone were just about EQ points, there wouldn't be much of a market for preamp pedals OR branded amp heads.

I'd start with the WTDI. When in doubt start with the cheaper option with fewer features and move up. The regrets are easier on the pocket book that way.

10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

On a side note, remember that the Little Mark heads have a parallel effects loop, meaning the effects in the loop only affect part of the signal. The Little Marks blend the original and effects loop signals together instead of cascading one into the other. Sticking an Empress EQ in the loop of your LMIII won't give you as much control as you may expect. It's fairly straightforward to mod the effects loop to be series, though, if it's still something you end up wanting to pursue.

11. enjoi1018

This, I did not know. I've had that amp for years, and was completely sold that it was series. What's involved in making the switch?

I feel like I understand what I want to hear and how to effectively change that with a good EQ. Also, very valid point about the "flavor" of preamps.

All very helpful points, guys. I'll probably start with the WTDI, possibly right before the amp. Would be interested in learning about the effects loop mod. I wonder why Markbass chose to make it parallel?