1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eden WTDI noise issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Oct 21, 2011.

1. f'nar f'nar

f'nar f'nar

Hey everyone! So I went out and bought one of the new Eden World Tour DI boxes a short while ago and let me tell you this thing sounds KILLER! I've been loving using it, it really thickens up and sexy-fy's my tone.

But recently I've been having an issue with it that I think someone here might be able to help me out with. Basically I'm not a huge effects buff so my knowledge of signal chains etc. is pretty limited. My signal chain changes around depending on the situation I'm in but I basically run my gear like this:

Practice:
    Bass -> WTDI -> Ampeg SVT-7 -> Korg Toneworks (looped) -> 6x10 cab

Live:
    Bass -> Korg Toneworks -> WTDI -> SVT-7 etc.

I run it different live purely so I can have the effects coming through the PA, but digital effects tend to kill my tone pretty hardcore so when I don't have any PA I just loop the effects board and turn it down during songs in which I don't play it.

Anyway, my issue is that lately the WTDI has been making this awful, high pitched sound when I'm not playing anything. I have narrowed it down to the Eden because it stops when I remove it from the loop.

I have been thinking that maybe it's something to do with the power supply, since mostly I have everything (including my amp) running off the 1 power board. But then I plugged the WTDI in elsewhere and it still made the noise. So my question is there something very simple that I just seem to be missing here? Is it indeed most likely a power supply issue? Is it common practice to have the amount of gear I have running off of one power board or should I look into making sure I have seperate power sources for both my amp and my effects?

I know the post was long winded and probably a bit confusing but any help would be greatly appreciated and I'd be happy to clarify and questions, I just want this noise outta my stuff!:crying:
  2. Lplaysbass

Lplaysbass

First, I would try messing around with the gain and volume settings on the wtdi. It is a very powerful pedal, (my experience.) One thing I noticed is that if I have it to close to my amp when Im playing through an ungrounded outlet, I get a lot more noise- at least it seems that way.(ie. hum- I use a passive Jazz.) Of course check all your cables... lol. You know that im sure. Hope you get it worked out.
  3. newbold

newbold

+1 to all of that. If you make sure that you're not using it to really boost your output so that you have your clean volume and eden volume fairly relative and just use it as a tonebox then you *might* fix the problem if it's a different approach than you're taking.

Also, if you haven't pressed the red button on the left side of the box (ground/lift) to see if that does anything I recommend you try it. It's worth a shot.
  4. churchpark

churchpark Supporting Member

Can changing the pot to a different ohm decrease the signal more and make it less hotter? Its just way to hot and distorts easily?
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That would not help what he described.
  6. churchpark

Well in general anyway? What can be done to decrease the signal from coming out so hot on the gain control. I get more clipping or distortion than high clean signals.
  7. bongomania

Disclosures:
    It is specifically designed to distort when you turn the gain up high. If you want clean, turn down the gain and turn up the master volume.
  8. churchpark

I'm aware of this but master volume is more than 5 o'clock position?
  9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    ???? You mean it is at maximum? How are you using the pedal?
  10. churchpark

Straight from guitar to input of WTDI and then to amp input. Basically I try to match the volume of the bypass to active level and maybe a hint higher, but when engaging the WTDI to active, the signal is lower and I can't increase it without increasing the gain. End result, distortion.
  11. PawleeP

PawleeP

turn the input gain down a little on the amp itself