Eden WTDI Preamp, a short review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by St_G, Jan 29, 2013.

1. St_G

St_G

The best way I can think to explain my thoughts on this little pedal preamp/DI is to go through the signal chain/knobs one at a time.

Gain- It's just an input trim. Does what it should, whether that's simply adjusting for the output of different basses or as a way to provide a little more control over when/how the compressor kicks in.

Compressor- One knob, all variables change together. Never gets super squished, even all the way up. More of a utility than an overt effect. I'm okay with that, because unless you've got a much steadier right hand than me, we ALL sound better with some comp. Surprisingly, this is actually the most subtle of all the controls.

Bass EQ- They claim 15db of cut or boost and I believe them. Small changes make a huge difference. Very, very easy to fart out.

Bass boost switch- Ugh. It's like a single button that simulates not knowing how to set your Bass EQ knob. Whether DI'd into a recording interface or running before an amp, I haven't found a use for this.

Mid EQ- Low-mid by default, high mids with the "mid shift" button engaged. I like a barky bass, so this is probably the most useful knob for my ears.

Treble EQ- Seems voiced a bit higher than I find useful. Lots of hiss, if you're stupid about it. One of my basses tends to be a bright, and this can tame it, but honestly, so does the Tone knob on the bass itself. In fact, the Tone knob does it a bit better.

Enhance- Incredibly heavy handed. Can make even the thumpiest old-school bass into something approximating modern hi-fi. For the most part, it seems like a control designed to give you a sound you'll love playing solo and that will get completely lost in a mix. Really not a sound I'm interested in.

Master- Output level. Duh.

Verdict: Not for me. I really wanted to like this thing. I fully expected to. But every time I'd dial in a sound that I dug -- usually using very mild settings -- I'd hit the bypass switch to compare it with the uneffected signal and realize I liked THAT sound better. It feels like a box best used to completely change the sound of a bass you hate, rather than to enhance the sound of one you love.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I take it you were using this pedal in conjunction with a bass head ? If so, before the amp, or in the effects loop ? It just may depend on how you have the bass head's eq set. Hard to make a bass head sound " neutral ", unless you go right into the return input. Alot of players using this pedal straight into a power amp with good results.

3. St_G

St_G

Used it in front of an amp (no fx loop) and also as a DI into a recording interface.

I know others have liked it. That's part of why I expected to. But, like I said, I don't think it's for me. I'm gonna be returning it.

4. Mykk

Mykk

I really like my WTDI. I use it in the effects loop parallel with my Mesa M-2000 with a 50% blend. Really beefs up the tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

I think I am going to get one just to use as a DI to run into my powered speakers without toting around a preamp, power amp etc.....

Any issues doing this? Basically it would be my preamp I suppose since I don't need a full rig right now.

7. tubatrooper

tubatrooper

I use mine with my IP310. It simplifies things a lot. Quick load in/out.

No complaints so far!

8. modulusman

modulusman

I have tried that in my livingroom running into a JBL PRX512m. It worked fine.

9. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I sold mine, and I am a Eden lover. I prefered the Sansamp Tech 21 VT bass.

10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Oh, and I use mine as a DI to FOH with no amp.

11. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

I use it make a sh.t back line like... sound good :D

12. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

I have been running mine into my efx loop bypassing the amps pre amp and I have been getting some great sounds out of it. I agree about the Bass boost button, it has no value. If Eden asked me what i would do to this pedal to make it better I would have to say lose the bass boost and give me a low and high mid knobs. That being said I love my WTDI and plan on playing out with it here next month.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I tried the WTDI and also did not care for it too much. I now have the Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal and it is a 1000% better. Sweepable mids, excellent tone and can drive virtually any power amp.

14. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

The trick to the bass boost button is to enable it but then cut back some bass with the bass knob. What this does is give you 1) a nice mild hump at the very bottom of the BG range, and 2) a cut below that so the sound doesn't turn into subsonic mud. Makes the bass heavy but fast+punchy at the same time

15. Matthijs

Matthijs

I always wondered why they would make a seperate Eden pre-amp without the best feature by far of the Eden wt amps: the semi parametric three band mid section.

I'm set in my ways as a long time Eden user, but that enhance knob :rollno:: I call it the "get lost in the mix knob".

16. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

> that enhance knob: I call it the "get lost in the mix knob".

It's the gank killer knob. But yeah, it has to be used sparingly. When I use mine, I just barely rotate it, I mean just a few degrees, just enough to suck out the mid glare. The WTDI's controls do so much, the temptation's always there to use all or most of what they do. Personally I would've cut the effective range of every knob on the thing by 50%. But they seem to be selling ok the way things are, so what the hell do I know, lol.........

17. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I found the extra range comes in handy for fixing a really bad backline amp. You have to be careful in that use because your D.I. may be too extreme for the P.A. then...

18. nick98338

nick98338

When I got mine, I was mostly looking for a small, useful DI and a compressor for sustain. I think the WTDI does those two things quite well. I did not need a lot of eq options. I still don't. My P-bass does not need a lot of eq tweaks. After several months of use, I've not moved the eq knobs much, at all. The gain knob moves between 9:00 and 11:00. The enhance knob has never moved from zero. The master pretty much stays at around 2:00. Have used it to three different FOH systems, and four different amp/cab combos. Still sounds fine. Small, light, low cost.

19. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

For those who get lost, that's what the Enhance does:

[​IMG]

20. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

How would one hook up this pedal to bypass the preamp of an amplifier?

21. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Bass >> WTDI In >> WTDI out >> FX return of the amp