Edgar Meyer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Unchain, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage. Supporting Member

I really want to give more of a listen to him. I've heard a bit of his works with Bela, but would like to know where you think would be best to start.

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Grab his recording of the Bach Suites. Now. Hehe....

The guy is a beast.

3. mcbosler

mcbosler

The Meyer & Bottesini Concertos are definately worth a listen. I'm assuming you mentioned his work with Bela Fleck because of the Uncommon Ritual album. If not, that's a great one as well.

Both are high energy performances.

4. Anon2962

Anon2962

'music for two' is his most recent recording (i think). it's a live cd of edgar and bela. really great dvd too. google it, its great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marc Decho

Marc Decho

Bela's a pretty funny cat too, gets even funnier when they both get on eachother's nerves, definately worth the price.

7. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

With Russ Barenberg and Jerry Douglas. A little bit of Sam Bush. It's awesome. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

8. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

Super good CD and DVD. I'm going to see them together in a couple weeks, and have been looking forward to it for months. The Bach Cello Suites are great as well...just burly.

9. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

I think some of his best original work can be found on the older (probably out of print) MCA Masterworks records.

He's incredilble, but I get bored with his compositions from the Bottesini CD.

10. hotdbass

hotdbass

I was abled to see Edgar and Bela last night at their final show of "Music For Two" Center for the Performing Arts in Escondido, Ca. I have always loved Edgars playing on CD and DVD, but to see him up close a personal is really amazing.The duo covered every music genre that you can imagine, starting of with a classical piece by Bach and then right into the "straight ahead" Miles Davis tune"Solar". The rest of the evening was set with some original tunes from their independent CD's and other songs from previous projects they were in over the years.

Edgar's bass playing is just way beyond anyone else that I have seen play the instrument. First of all, the Czech bass, (the one with the dots on the fingerboard, which by the way, he rarely looks at!) has this unreal acoustical projection.Although he was mic'ed, he kept adjusting the volume control down so the true acoustics could come through.The arco sound he was getting from the far reaches of the "thumb postion" was so even and controlled, if you closed your eyes,you would swear it was a cello. And when he lowed his extension and rattled the b string, the sound came from the basement.Edgar also played the piano on several of the songs and Bela played a dobro guitar on the finale tune. Of course, like a fool I spent my remaining money on two glasses of Merlot before and during the intermission, and didn't have enough money to get their lastest CD.But I will this week!

11. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar

I saw the duo perform earlier this month. The incredibly difficult "Canon" was the next tune, and Bela made a big deal about putting his music on the stand (Edgar used no music that evening).

The very last second before they started playing it, Bela said "Wait!," reached out and turned his music "right-side up."

The audience busted up. Edgar didn't seem all that amused.

12. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Ya I agree totally. Edgar Meyer actaully performs his own cadanzas in the Bott.

13. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

I saw their show on Saturday (before the Escondito show) in Irvine, and was absolutely blown away. I've been listening to Edgar Meyer since the Uncommon Ritual CD came out, and saw the Music for 2 dvd (as well as showed it to my students) last year. He's definitely a player who is 100% at ease with his instrument.

14. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Edgar's bass isn't Czech, it's Italian. And the low string is tuned to a C, not a B.

I caught their show here in Olympia last week. All of their banter is clearly scripted. I think Bela flips his music over for the canon at every show. Although, for unnecessary, scripted talking, some of it was kind of funny. Bela had to have three or four banjos on stage, so Edgar quipped about having "three or four basses, too, you know."

15. hotdbass

hotdbass

Pau Cannon:

I appreciate you comments, but let me quote from an article that can be found online at: mywebpages.comcast.net/wendell.norm/edgtest.net
    "He still has his original 1933 Robert Jager he grew up with. (The dots on Edgar's bass were put there as a joke. According to Dr. Darol-one of the alter egos of Darol Anger: "Classical guitarists and bowed string players are supposed to be above the use of such aids.Edgar had dots installed on his bass neck a couple of years ago, solely to drive the purists nuts and provoke fistfights.") I think this implies the dots are on the Czech Jager bass.

When I saw Edgar last night he was playing the bass with dots, same bass as seen on the cover of Double Bassist Autumn 2001. I rather doubt that he would put dots on his Gabrielli circ 1769.
    It is in the realm of possibility that he uses both basses, or more for that matter while tour, they were on a tour bass. I think you happened to see him playing the Italian Gabrielli and I saw him playing the Czech Jager. Concerning the C extension,I still think he did use the fingered extension mechanism to lower down to a B on one of the songs.

16. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

I do remember reading an interview where he said for one of the cello suites he tuned it down to B. I think you can find the article if you google for Edgar Meyer cello suites interview and such.

17. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

From what I've read and been told, he rarely takes his "other" basses on tour. I don't know which one is the Czech, but he keeps a five-string in New York for his chamber music stuff there, and his other one at his house. He takes his Gabrielli everywhere else, partly because it's his favorite, partly because it's easiest to play solos on, and partly because it's small enough to fit in an airplane seat.

The dots are on the Gabrielli. It's the same bass with a hyper-extended fingerboard. Who knows why he put them on. They might be a joke, but he has claimed they improve his playing to a small extent.

18. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

+1. I don't care what a magazine article says. Paul Cannon sat in a room with Edgar Meyer and talked about the dots one the bass (clearly not Czech) he was holding. I would know, I was there.

19. hotdbass

hotdbass

20. Bass_Boy05

Bass_Boy05

I trhought it was an Italian bass. I think he said it was circa 16th or 17th century. I actually had met him a while back when he performed with the Kansas City Symphony. It has been a while since I have heard anyhting about that bass, But I will never forget how it sounds. Also, check out the cd's Appalachian Waltz, Appalaichian Journey, and Short Trip Home. They are all very good cds.

Aha! His bass is a Giovanni Batista Gabrielli Contrabass, made in Florence, Italy in 1769!! So there you go...