edgy sound

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Herbet, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Herbet

Herbet

Hi guys,
    I have a Shen SB200 3/4 bass and the sound is very edgy when played with the bow. the strings have been updated to Pirastro oliv (D, G) and eudoxas (E, A) which has tamed it a bit but it is still annoying. I've been playing the heck out of it and it has definitely opened up but the sound characteristic is still the same. When it was first setup a bridge with aluminum adjusters was put in place and thinned to improve response for pizzicato. since then I have decided to concentrate on classical, currently playing with a Prochovnik bow. I am now thinking about asking my luthier to install a new bridge without adjusters and more mass. would that help reducing some of the edginess?
    thanks in advance, Herbet

2. 360guy

360guy

You might have the sound posts adjusted a but further from its current position. Another change that I've had success with is installing a wooden endpin. But the later requires an endpin that will accept a 5/8" peg. Get ahold of me if you want to go that route.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

I bought an SB200 new prolly 7 years ago or so. When the bass was new it did have a super bright sound. It has mellowed considerably as it as aged. I'd also let those strings break it well. I tried Eudoxas and I found them to have a bit of a metallic whine when they were newer. That went away.

So the short of it? Be patient. I've found the SB200 to be a great bass and have nothing but good things to report but my luthier did warn me when I bought it that a new bass takes a while to open up.

4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Agreed. It's a new bass. Ever taste new wine? Same concept.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

A thinner bridge equals a brighter sound, but being in Toronto, I would stick with adjusters so you have seasonal control over bridge height. You can find wooden endpins with steel rods to fit in smaller holes. I think KC Strings makes them. A heavier tailpiece may also help tame the brightness.

7. Herbet

Herbet

thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I do already have an all-wood Laborie endpin installed.
    In a hunch today I've tried wrapping a small microfiber cloth around each aluminum adjuster and it does significantly reduces brightness. The adjusters haven't been needed once I've settled on a comfortable string height so I'm guessing I can live without them now.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Without adjusters, the 'comfortable height' you are currently enjoying will be 'much too tight' in the humid days of summer and 'buzzing on the fingerboard' in the dryness of winter.

Take your DB to an experienced luthier who can adjust your bass to suit your needs - and keep the adjusters, they shouldn't be the problem! ;)