1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Edicson Ruiz playing Berio's Psy

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Dec 23, 2013.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

wow! thanks Damon. Agreed, great piece, and thats a pretty definitive performance

3. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

Very inspiring and beautiful! And PlusOne for the unsurpassed quality of this rendition. His sound is magical.

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

Incredible! He is SO good and I love the piece.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

I bought downloads of both of his albums on amazon. They are not contemporary but the playing is incredible.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Beautiful performance. I'd be curious to hear the story of that bow as well!

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

A big part of his work seems to be period performances of the Vienna school. 3 string bass, Viennese tuning and all, so I assume it is a period bow he likes.

9. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

Beautiful performance and composition.
    It's nice to hear a piece in "orchestral" tuning. Those low Ab's and G's at the end could blow out a candle.
    Thanks, damonsmith.

10. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

What a great player. I love how he doesn't limit himself to one period or style of playing.

Regarding his bass setup, he seems to use 4 strings for the Viennese stuff I've seen (useful for all of the string crossing arpeggios). He seems to mostly use the 3-string setup for Romantic stuff like Bottesini. He uses the same bass for both, and I noticed that his tailpiece has these strange J-shaped holes for the top three strings so that he can move them to a 3-string position without taking them off first. I guess he just swaps out the bridge and nut, takes off the E-string, and plays. Here's a pic where you can see the tailpiece.

http://www.edicsonruiz.com/images/NOHE9431.jpg

11. damonsmith

damonsmith

12. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Great performance, but am I the only one who thinks this piece is totally uninspired? Compared to his sequenzas, Psy is just a brief disappointment to me.

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

Yeah. Psy always seemed tossed off. The performance is what makes this great. Psy is nice in that it is idiomatic to the instrument. It seems like Berio did his instrumental research and then just kind of banged out the piece.

14. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

Psy is actually an adaptation of a duet from Berio's 34 duets for violins. I think the transcription was Berio's gift to someone.

15. oliebrice

oliebrice

16. basic74

basic74

about the bow for psy - the score says "forte barocco" in the beginning.. so it makes sense to use a period bow and also I hear his interpretation inspired by baroque music.. maybe it´s just me :)

17. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Ditto, Chris.

Is there such a thing as a German baroque bow? Rinat Ibragimov uses a "baroque" also, but his, as I recall, is more of a French style, at least he holds it in a French manner, quite far from the frog, almost mid-bow. Other than it's resemblance to my Ben Pearson long bow, this guy's bow seems to have a very narrow ribbon of hair, thin if you will, and quite taut.
    Damon, how would this piece sound if played using a conventional French or German bow? I think it would be much warmer, less squeaky.