Effect during guitar solo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheCreep, Dec 19, 2012.

1. TheCreep

TheCreep

Hi, I'm in a death/thrash metal band and our rythm guitarist decided to stop. We decided to go on without rythm guitarist but we've noticed that a lot of sound drops while the guitarist is playing a solo.
    The question is: Do you guys know of any effect that would help fill out the empty space during the solo?
    I already use an overdrive and I also have a fuzz pedal which I don't use in that band, could the fuzz help?
    Thanks in advance
  2. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

No effect can take the place of a strummed guitar power chord. I would relish the available sound space and use it to help define the drums and bass interplay during the solos. It actually makes each part more distinct and important in the song regardless of the genre. I actually prefer the sound that way, but it takes some getting used to when you are in the band. Nothing like when the guitarist kicks back in to chords after the solo to help boost the power even more, considering most solos come in towards the last chorus or end.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Akai Unibass and Fishman Fission are both designed for exactly that. They add power chords to the notes you play.
  4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I agree with the previous two posts but another simple solution would be to kick on that fuzz and add an octave up---either through an effect or play an octave up with an octave down effect.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheCreep

TheCreep

I agree that I won't be able to replace the guitar but I'm looking for something to do with the empty space since in this genre it's quite a letdown when a fast riff starts and a whole lot of sound just disappears.
  7. TheCreep

TheCreep

That's exactly what I'm looking for, too bad it's really costly.
    Anyone think that using my fuzz and maybe add an equalizer for more bass (since I mainly use a lot of midrange in my tone) would make a difference?
    I have a Pi Bass Big Muff.
  8. TheCreep

TheCreep

Seems like the best price/quality solution right now, might check that out.
    Thanks
  9. bassburton

bassburton

That's what I was going to do had my old band not disbanded. I was thinking about buying a POG and using the octave up to sort of simulate the rhythm guitar when we hit solos in the song.
  10. TheCreep

TheCreep

Yeah, i just want a bit of noise in the background so just simulating a rythm guitar instead of really replacing it.
  11. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Phrase Looper.
  12. James Judson

James Judson

No rhythm guitar for me please. I have noticed the phenomena and it's worse when the guitarist plays single coil pu's.

Chords???? I hate em and frequently ask guitar players and key players not to play them.

As a bass player, my job is to make everyone else sound better. So I step up to the plate and play more during solos. Soloist gets a standing ovation and I know I did my job.
  13. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

I think the fuzz could help. The ability to blend it would be great. Another option might be some ambience, like reverb or a slight delay. But in that situation, 9 times out of 10 I usually end up using a little bit of boost and a few extra notes.
  14. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

Disclosures:
    I work for Musician's Friend at the SLC contact center. Not an official point of contact, just disclosure.
    :meh:

Bu-but chords are good things :bag:
  15. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

Only when I play em... :bassist:
  16. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv Supporting Member

17. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

Disclosures:
    I work for Musician's Friend at the SLC contact center. Not an official point of contact, just disclosure.
    Roflroflrofl.

I quite enjoy playing bass chords but only in a practice/tapping type application.
  18. J03YW

J03YW

Hmmm. I'd try fuzz and/or chorus? OOOOOOOOR take the Sean Beasley approach and just follow the solo, lol. I'd set your big muff to full sustain an roll the tone all the way off, on dry mode. I really like how that works, keep a bit of your tone, anchor with the real bassy fuzz but at the same time it's fuzz so it's filling in with the riffing. Another thing that Beasley does that I like is he does a little kinda melody thing that somewhat follows the solo, but still sticks to the riff a bit and still drives the song by locking in with the drums. I don't think this is a question of effects, but songwriting.
  19. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

You may need to change what you are playing. Sometimes you need the chords but a lot of the times a few well placed extra notes will do wonders for those hollow spots.
  20. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

I've used my BBM on dry mode for a bit of grit and volume boost while playing double stops to emulate a power chords when my guitarist has switched from chords to solo. Similar to how Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick handled their being a 3-piece to fill the sonic room during solos.
  21. monti2889

monti2889

while keeping the basic bass line going...I've learned to add little extras (usually and octave, but not always) to make up for missing or lost instruments. I've also used a "heavier" distortion with slight chorus to give a thicker sound, another thing I've done is used a synth pedal with envelope filter (or wah) to create distortion (it adds more of a vocal effect but also fills that frequency range).

In all honesty, you guys as a band need to work on it and redevelop your band sound as a 3-4 (however many) piece, or find a replacement rhythm guitar player.