Effect for heavy metal distortion/fuzz (Twiggy Ramirez, etc)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm wondering what type of distortion or effect would be used to mimic Twiggy Ramirez's sound on a lot of Marilyn manons's recordings. Some recordings sound punchy and clean , while others have that fuzzy growl. I know he used primarily Gibson t-birds and ampegs but I don't have much info on effects. Any info is appreciate
  2. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

The MXR M-80 has a Twiggy setting listed in the manual. Maybe try that one.
  3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

4. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Not to sound stupid here, but what's the difference between overdrive and distortion exactly?
  5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    The degree of clipping. Distortion involves more clipping of the wave than overdrive, but both are less clipped than fuzz.
  6. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

So which effect has more "effect" on the sound? Fuzz...overdrive...then distortion? So does twiggy actually use this pedal or is this just a setting to imitate him?
  7. Tractorr

Tractorr

Overdrive is generally the least distorted, then distortion is in the middle, then fuzz is most distorted or fuzzy. The only problem is that some pedals labelled with these terms are actually closer to some of the others. Go to a big box music stores and try out a bunch. Try the ones labelled for bass but some that are supposedly for guitar work for bass as well (I use an OCD clone which is a guitar overdrive that works fine for bass).
  8. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

OK...so when you say signal clipping, the fuzz is basically letting more of the clipped signal through?
  9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

If you're interested, this video shows some decent shots of the pedalboard of current bassist, Fred Sablan. It appears to be Boss TU-2(3), Ernie Ball VPJR, Fulltone Bass-Drive, Dunlop 105Q. A very simple, yet very efficient board!