1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Effect Loop Question! Please help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JoshSmith, Nov 9, 2013.

1. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

So I purchased a boss noise suppressor, and I have a sansamp bass driver and what order should I put these pedals in? Like which one first and closest to my bass?

2. DeadZeriousBass

DeadZeriousBass

Try them both ways and play around with it and find which way you like the best. Sound is a matter of personal preference in my honest opinion.

3. Corythosaurus

Corythosaurus

Disclosures:
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    This is probably the best advice!

But to give you a bit more detail: in general, noise gates work more effectively before overdrives. An overdrive will amplify any noise coming from your bass, which often brings the noise closer to the volume level of your good signal. The closer the noise and good signals are, the harder it is for the suppressor to tell the difference between the two.

However, if the noise isn't originally coming from your bass, and is instead originating from the overdrive pedal, you would want the noise suppressor after the overdrive.

I hope I explained that alright. Make sense?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also, noise suppressors suck and should be avoided in most cases. There are very few situations where a noise suppressor is the right solution.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1, and with only one other pedal in the chain, I have to ask, why even bother with a noise gate? There should be no need for it, and if there was, eliminating the noisy offender is the better option.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna ask the same thing: where's the noise coming from? If the OP has all the knobs dimed on the SansAmp, that would bring up the floor level.

Riis

8. JoshSmith

JoshSmith

Thanks everyone I actually returned it because it made my tone sound horrible and I realized I didn't need one

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder