1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Effect of neck width at nut on tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alper Yilmaz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Erkan Sizarlar Basses
    Hi,

I am about to order a P bass to Mike Lull. I am used to the narrower Jazz necks on four string basses in general, but this time I am indetermined between a P and a J neck. Would the neck width affect the tone of the bass, what do you think?

I am after a typical P bass tone, by the way...

Best,

Alper
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo

Wider spacing sounds better for blues/R&B, narrow spacing sounds better for metal.
  3. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

No it doesn't. 😳^^^^^^^
  4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    LOL! :cool:
  5. electracoyote

electracoyote

Ha, the peanut gallery always delivers here on TB.

Seriously, I think the tonal impact of nut width would be so minimal as to be imperceptible.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Gentletrolls start your engines!!!
  7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

No no, bigger nuts sound best for metal!
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Just play what you're comfortable with.
  9. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Bigger nuts sound good for metal?? How you figger?? LOL
  10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

makes it easier to hold on to the neck when you are banging your head!
  11. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Maybe he should hold on to his nut (nuts)
  12. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

No effect on tone at all.
  13. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

the question is What nut?
  14. gottawalk

gottawalk

BRASS nuts for metal...! Seriously; if you're going to order from Lull, you can ask him the differences, and the pros and cons before you order. He ACTUALLY answers his own phone! Talk to him.
  15. mystic38

mystic38

the only difference i can see is if the neck is a way more substantial piece of lumber then sustain could potentially improve... but, since playing a 2x4 seriously spoils your chops, i agree with the "no"s
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Not IME. For example, I shaved the neck on one of my DIY P basses from 1-3/4" to 1-7/16" at the nut with no ill effect. Same with other basses I've done the same mod on.
  17. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I always experience a difference. I used to think it was the extra lumber in the neck. These days, I'm more inclined to think it's just because the wider string spacing lets me play more expressively.

I sound "bigger", and more "P-basslike" when I play basses with bigger necks. It's not just my impression, because other people have commented on it.

That doesn't mean it's going to work that way for everybody. I'm also a big lug with big hands...
  18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Now, THAT is one of the smarter answers I've heard to this question. Highly subjective and dependant on the player of course, but a good thought nonetheless. I am impervious to string spacing, I can utilize the same range of dynamics regardless, but I don't doubt there are some players who are more sensitive and influenced by this aspect.

I was thinking, in a blind sound test using the same string attack on a P versus J -width neck, there is no discernable tonal difference.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Surely a chunky 1 3/4" classic P neck is going to have more mass than a modern 1 1/2" Jazz. I do think that the neck mass in relationship to body mass can/does have some effect tone, but comfort is an overriding factor here, IMO.
  20. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

For me, it's not about dynamics, it's about the left hand's effect on tone production. Touch, ease of doing string shakes and bends, that sort of thing.

Once again, it's going to be very subjective thing, also dependent on ergonomic issues like the size of your hands, slender vs pudgy fingers, strength, etc.