effect pedal order....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sillyfabe, Apr 17, 2009.

1. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

o.k. i have a ton of pedals and they are as follow (in the exact order i have them in my chain)

1)Dunlop 105Q crybaby bass wah
    2) Boss TU-2 tuner
    3) Boss SYB-05 Bass Synthesizer
    4) Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah
    5) Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
    6) Boss BF-3 Flanger
    7) Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
    8) Boss LM-2B Bass limiter

any changes i should make in the order?
    just asking for peoples ideas is all...
    :bassist:

2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Well, since we have no idea what kind of music you play or what kind of sounds you're looking for, I say just order some pizza... and strippers.

3. bhass

bhass

4. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    Personally, this is how I would wire everything up:

1) Boss SYB-05 Bass Synthesizer
    2) Dunlop 105Q crybaby bass wah
    3) Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah
    4) Boss LM-2B Bass limiter
    5) Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
    6) Boss BF-3 Flanger
    6) Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
    8) Boss TU-2 tuner

Yes. I know there's two 6's. The flanger and chorus are interchangeable in that position. Putting the SYB-05 first gives it the best chance to track accurately, and gives the added bonus of the boss buffered bypass before the wah which isn't TBP and will load your signal. You could also move the AW-3 after the ODB-3 with the limiter following it if you like overdrive into filter sounds, or even move the ODB-3 to just after the SYB-05 and run it into the 105Q and AW-3. Personally I like my modulation at the end of the chain, with delay being the last thing in the signal path. The tuner can also double as a mute pedal with it at the end of the signal chain (I use a volume pedal for mute, as well as for tasty volume swells).

Tht's how I'd do it, but there's really no wrong way to hook up pedals unless you confuse the instrument and amp jacks at the beginning and end of your chain. :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David1234

David1234

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Experiment!

There's some things that you've done that I like and would generally do myself - flanger and chorus are late in the piece, tuner near the start and definitely not after the chorus or flanger, and one of your wahs is early. But I do think experiments with pairs of pedals is the key to finding your sound.

For example, in your band setting do you prefer the limiter before the synth and/or before the dynamic wah (to give more consistent wah and synth effects) or after them (to give you more expressive control on them, while evening out the output volume).

I would personally have the flanger and chorus somewhere after the overdrive and synth, but that's just me. I'd also consider having the wah after the overdrive, so your wah has a more harmonically rich starting signal.

Anyway ... experiment with pairs of pedals and learn what orders *you* like.

D

7. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    +1 I've got my Polish Love before my wah, which is an awesome sound. :D
    PL into chorus/flanger/both is awesome too!