Effective band communications method needed

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

My new band is having difficulty keeping in sync on a rehearsal schedule and other key info. We are fairly new, and two members have opted out of Facebook. SMS isnt working because we have a combo of Iphones and Android, so MMS comes in serially. Email is not immediate enough. We live about 20-50 miles apart, and work schedules and adverse weather have impacted us. Any suggestions out there?
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Once you can get everyone in the same room will you be able to lay out a consistent rehearsal schedule? That can be difficult when it comes to some peoples inconsistent work schedules, but Ive always found having a set day & time to be beneficial.
  3. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Go "old school" and call each other? or text?
  4. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Hmm, so you say you all have different brands of phones...

You could always try carrier pigeons, or Pony Express, I suppose.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Try the good old fashion way and call everyone on the telephone - and after getting everyone's calendars call them back with the rehearsal dates and times.
  6. clmayhew

clmayhew

Smoke signals and flares work as well. :D
  7. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

BL problems.

someone has to take the reigns and get the schedule together in any way possible. Yes, phone calls & texts seem to work for me. Lots of them.
  8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Morse Code
  9. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Emails and texting doesn't work if u have diff brands of phones???
  10. G

G

11. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Same issue with my band (50 miles apart and live in upstate NY). We use email very effectively, call each other for last minute changes, have a consistent rehearsal schedule, and a group calendar for scheduling gigs (Wiggo). It works just fine.
  12. djaydjay

djaydjay

I didn't get that part :help:

other than that, I've been for the last few years the "de facto" BL when it comes to rehearsal in my band. A set day is not possible for us (1 in high school, 1 at university, 1 working "on call" and 1 working as a security agent, working hours changing every week and night shifts here and there).

For a long time I would just text - or mail - everyone at the beginning of the week asking for their available days of the week and set the rehearsal day of the week once I had all the answers.

It could get tiring, especially when no days matched and I had to makes 2-3 rounds to find a day that worked :scowl:

Now we all have smartphones and I created a "discussion group" on whatsapp. I just have to text once and they all see if it's not working out. Way easier, made me fall in love with smartphones :bassist:
  13. Marley's Ghost

Set day and time doesn't work for rehearsal as two of us have varying work schedules which can change on short notice.

The singer has expressed frustration at being the middleman in communications.

Not all of us can take calls during the day at work.

I will have to check out What's App.
  14. Marley's Ghost

When an IPhone sends a group SMS, Android sees it as unicast MMS and cannot "reply all" or see who else it was sent to.
  15. Whump

Whump

This, or similar. Find a cross-platform group messaging app that functions identically on both iOS and Android. The way that Android doesn't display group MMS messsages in-line is a real pain. I think it's actually caused by Apple's implementation in iOS though.
  16. newbold

newbold

mass email AND CALL. you have an info trail but don't set anything until you get verbal confirmation - and repetition.

Me: practice this week so far is thursday at 8. you okay with that?
    Him/her: that's okay with me.
    Me: So when are you going to be here ready to rock?
    him/her: Thursday at 8?
    me: that's it. expect an email/text/message directly.

that makes it hard to be able to say 'I didn't know' - when they've been confirmed to say back the plan.

Similarly, there are polling services for those with the internet, such as doodle.

doodle
  17. Marley's Ghost

Installed Whatsapp and sent invites to others. Hopefully they bite.
  18. Schlyder

Schlyder

:eyebrow: How the hell can this even be a problem in this day and technological age?
  19. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Check out www.doodle.com

We use this Web application for picking rehearsal dates/times that work for everyone. Super easy. Run through how to use it with members at a meeting, then do it. Totally eliminates all the back and forth BS.

Also sync Google calendars for gig availability.

You still need disciplined and competent band members to make this work.
  20. P Town

P Town Guest

Get with the times, Sir. Have you not heard of Western Union? (I am old enough to have assisted in the design of hardware used to transmit telegrams, by W/U in Europe.)