1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Effects for radioactive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassicsax, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bassicsax

bassicsax

I'm covering imagine dragons radioactive at a gig tonight. I have a zoom ms-60b that I can use to get that sound, and also a mxr bass fuzz deluxe. Any suggestions on what settings are going to get me as close as possible to that sound? I typically use effects for more subtle sounds so this is a little out of the realm of my comfort and knowledge.

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I was under the impression they were more of a synthy-dubstep type band, bass synths/octaves/phases will be your friend I would assume.

3. clmayhew

clmayhew

I did it recently with a muff-style fuzz, an envelope filter and an octave down. To nail it a bit closer you could do that wobble pattern with a volume pedal.

4. bassicsax

bassicsax

Yeah I have gotten pretty close with a envelope synth type sound but that wobble is what I can't figure out...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

HH3 and Source Audio BEF/BEF Pro/Manta, along with fuzz and octave.

7. bassicsax

bassicsax

any way to do that with a zoom ms60b? as much as i would like to go out and buy a couple of pedals for one song at one gig, I don't think my wife would be ok with that...

8. jking138

jking138

The tremolo on the ms-60 gets a good wobble, tri-3 or that sort of area. I know this doesn't really help but someone posted a radioactive patch in the B3 Patch ideas thread.
    I can see if I can find the settings for you.

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

You should PM jumblemind, he has a crapload of great patches that he has come up with. Im sure he will be able to get you something

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

When I had my Source Audio BEF Pro & Hot Hand (and an octave and fuzz) I covered this song and Muse's "Madness" wand got quite close. So I understand why people would point you that way.

But honestly, for one song I'd just crank the MXR fuzz and approximate the wobbles with your plucking.

The other option is to not bother trying to get that synth tone at all.

Just play it straight along the lines of Ben's bassline from this acoustic performance.

11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking. I've never tried this kind of sound, but I'ma give it a go soon. Off the top of my head I'd try the Z-syn (because it has an envelope/gate in it) dialed way back to tame it, Bass Pitch to get a bit of sub, and a Tremolo with stock setting (i believe it is the tri-3) but increase the rate. Pull up the patch and leave the Tremolo on screen so that you can stomp it on and off: use pick/fingers to work the envelope to do the slow wobbles and stomp the Trem here and there for the faster ones. I would feed a dedicated fuzz into the Zoom for the sustain and touch of character. No idea if this would work, but I love the idea of a poor man's dubstep wobble. :)

12. jking138

jking138

Thats basically it. The B3 has 3 slots so its a z-synth into a wah and octave, I've tried it and its near enough. would put the octave before the auto wah if it was me thought.

aquamentus likes this.