Effects friendly 1x12 (pair of) make sense??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dharmashawn, Mar 30, 2014.

1. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

Looking to get a pair of 1x12 cabinets (small needs to be SMALL) and I use a ton of Effects, OD , Distortion. Is there such a thing as a cab that fairs better with effects?? Can you guys give me some input and experience on these:

TC Electronics RS112

Orange SP212

Markbass New York 121

or perhaps something else (non fEarful please, nothing personal I have a 15/6. It's just everyone throws that out when they make a list)

Thanks Much TB!!!!!!
  2. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

3. dharmashawn

Will Bill allow me to use his design with Distortion :bag:
  4. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

Baer 1x12 or Duke's Hathor 12? Both have paper mid/uppers that reportedly should respond more gracefully to distortion than the standard tweeter.

=wr=
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PubliclyViewable

PubliclyViewable

Haha!

I just finished the first of two Jack 12's yesterday before my gig... I run stereo, with a 2x10 Carvin running clean and this Jack being supplied my effects board signal. How can I not type this in caps... IT WAS INCREDIBLE. When I ran the Jack clean, I was in bass heaven. With any distortion-based pedal (Bass Muff, Mooer Fuzz, distorted/low-octave-boosting EHX Bass Synth), this cab is still AMAZING. My specs:

3012HO driver, 12 melded piezo tweeters (with full-1/2-off switch for tweeters)

Ran the tweeters full-on, and it is just LOUD and clean... Can't be happier!

Tiny cube, 40 pounds... no more back-breaking ;)
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never had an NY 121, but I had that little combo that the NY 121 is based on, and with the tweeter it's way too harsh, and without it there's a big response hole between it and the woofer, and the woofer is crazy dark. Isobarics like the Orange can be good, but I'm not into buying a 212 that sounds like a 112.

Might call your attention to the newish SVT 112av that Ampeg has. Not played it yet but I've gotten lots of good reports from folks who like to use distortion.
  8. dharmashawn

^^^ For Real?? I have the jack plans and considered it for some time......Awesome info Jimmy!! Exactly the kinda of input I need
  9. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

:rollno:

Not sure. Better clear it with him first.:bag:
  10. dharmashawn

[​IMG]

This looks pretty good. Love the NO Ratfur too..... Would never make that a deal breaker, but sh!t if I had the choice of the same cab with or without it, choosing without every time
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That Ampeg cab looks pretty cool.

If you want to go cheap, Ashdown has a 1x12 that can sometimes be found for like $100 on the used markets. I bet it's pretty vintage sounding.
  12. dharmashawn

Those aggy cabs are nice too, but damn that is a tough purchase. Would really dig one wth tweeter / one without.

That ampeg is considerably more wallet friendly.
  13. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Bag End S12D. If you want good overdrive, these will reign supreme. Top notch construction, made in the US, and a great value IMO.
  14. dharmashawn

Was not on my radar, as I thought they would be out of my price range, but they look really doable.
  15. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    I'm using 2 SVT-112's with a PF-800 head and love the tone! Nice and full with good lows & mids and you can add some highs with the tweeter. I leave it off on the bottom cab and use just a little of it on the top cab. It's a very nice club stack and easy to transport. By the way it looks great!
  16. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Jimmy recommending an Ampeg cabinet? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! ;p