1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Effects help.. [LS-2/Proco Rat/Black Russian Muff Pi/GEB-7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davekent, Nov 25, 2013.

1. davekent

davekent

Hi all,
    Sorry to do this..
    New to effects really, been playing with a Proco Rat for a while now.. but just borrowed some other pedals to have a play around.

Just looking for some guidance with a couple of pedals i've borrowed.

Boss LS-2
    Boss GEB-7
    (Sovtek) Black Russian Muff Pi

Currently using..
    Amp: SVT 3 Pro.
    Cab: Marshall 8x10.
    Bass: Gibson Grabber.
    Band: 3 piece post-punk band with bits of post-rock instrumentals. Guitarist plays with a Gordon Smith GS1.60 into OD & Delay through a Laney GH-50L & 4x12.

My current signal path: Bass>Tuner>Rat (always on)>Amp

Amp setting: Gain 2/3 o'clock, Bass 2, Mid 1, Mid selector 3, Treble 2, Volume depending on gig, Tube Gain max. EQ off.

Rat setting: Distortion at 10, Filter max and Volume depending on gig.

Was thinking Bass > Tuner > LS-2 [A loop: Rat>Muff>GEB-7] on A+B Mix > Amp

Questions:
    What settings would you use on the GEB-7?
    What settings would you use on the Muff?
    Would you run it in the path I have described? I have the Rat on all the time, I just wanted the muff to add some more grunt/dirt/fuzz for solo/bridge bits.
    How much would you blend the A (wet) signal with the B (dry signal)?

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I might try eq before distortion. This is a great way of fine tuning what frequencies trigger the distortion effects. For eq settings you really have to experiment. In general I would say that you want to emphasis the mids.

3. davekent

davekent

I've read here (maybe dude from Tool) that place EQ after the Rat to push bass back into it, but i've not found any info of the Rat and Muff together.. hence me asking :)
    Thanks for your input BFUNK!

4. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I think he is referring to the loss of lows that the standard rat creates. Since you are able to blend clean and wet, you should be able to get plenty of lows from the clean side.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davekent

davekent

Maybe I won't even need to use the EQ, or at least just compensate for the muff by boosting the mids as you say. I'd probably like to even it all out a bit.. i'll get experimenting..

But if anyone else has any thoughts would be good to hear (cheers again bfunk!)