1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Effects Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DirtyDuke, Dec 21, 2012.

1. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Hey, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, ect.

I need help with setting up 2 seperate effects loops. What I hope to achieve is 2 or 3 distict sounds by selecting separate lines.

Here is a list of equipment:

Ashdown ABM 500 c 410- with a 1 X 15 Ashdown extension.
    Footswitchable on the ashdown: EQ (on/off) Sub HArmonics (On/Off), Shape (more of a mid scoop, on/off) Valve (on/off)

Effects available:

Ashdown tuner
    Boss Nosie suppressor
    Bass Big Muff
    Digitech bass synth
    Boss Flanger (BF3)
    Boss Bass Overdrive
    Danelectro Chorus (18V)
    Sansamp BDDI
    BBE Sonis Maximizer
    Aphex Aural Exciter (bass)
    MArkbass Compressore
    Aphex Punch Factory
    MXR Octave Deluxe
    Boss GBE 7 EQ
    Booster LBP 1
    Bassballs filter
    Boss Line Selector

Basses: fender Hot Rod precision (fralins), American Jazz, 50's reissue precision MIM

We cover Sabbath, Zeppelin, Tool, Muse, The Sheepdogs, The Hip, etc.

What I need help with is avoiding the tap dancing, lol. I am trying to set up 2 or 3 distinct useable tones that are available at the press of a button, or two.

Cheers and any help is appreciated.
  2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

It's difficult to envision what sounds you're trying to get, and that's a pretty lengthy list of equipment. Getting 2 or 3 distinct tones with only a few presses of buttons is probably impossible, unless you have three channels or A/B splitters, where certain effects are only used on certain channels and not used on other channels.

The other option is to get a MIDI patchbay where you can route different effects via a Midi controller. I don't have any experience with them, and have no idea how expensive they are.
  3. DirtyDuke

I understand. I do have a line selector and can easily get another one. My vision is to have 2 loops or 3 that look like the following:

Loop 1 (in no particular order)

Compressore
    BBE Sonic Stomp
    Octave
    Fuzz
    Synth
    Sans Amp
    (Eq from Ashdown)

Loop 2

Aphex Punch Factory
    Aphex Aural Exciter
    Flanger
    Boss Overdrive
    Chorus
    Boss Eq
    Ashdown Subharmonics

Out of the loops as and added as needed

Line Selector
    Booster
    Tuner
    Noise Suppressor
    Ashdown Valve Drive

Thoughts?
  4. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

...not to be a wise ass, and I know that you didn't ask, but just throwing this out there...have you considered something like the Fractal Audio AxeFx? Call me a fanboy, but I ditched pedals and rack processors years ago for the Axefx and have never looked back. 2 rack units tall and a MIDI pedalboard and DONE...virtually unlimited routing flexibility and tons of fx processors to choose from. The prospect of moving, setting up and troubleshooting a rig like you're describing would give me nightmares.

I play a lot of the same stuff you're playing (Zep, Sabbath, Tool, Disturbed, etc.). The AxeFx can either replace your preamp, or be used for FX only in your head's loop or in front of the head's input. All good. IMO worth a look.

...again...FWIW...and sorry to drag this off topic if it's out of line...as you were ;)
  5. DirtyDuke

Never heard of it, but as you can see, I am an effects junky, lol.

Thank you.
  6. DirtyDuke

Problem solved (I hope)

Loop Master true bypass 4 loop pedal.

This should work exactly as I need it to.

Peace