1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Effects..In which order?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 3, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I'm building my first pedal board. It's sort of double duty. I'll be using it for bass and also guitar.
    I don't know what the proper order for the effects would be. Does it even matter?
    Here is what I have so far.
    Compressor
    Chorus
    Delay
    Overdrive

I also have a Zoom B2 multi pedal which I might still want to use for some things. Mainly Octave below, Octave above and some Wah effects. Should that go before or after my other effects?
    I want to keep the B2 separate because I might want to get a different octaver and envelope follower.

2. Denver Max

Denver Max

I don't have much experience with this, but I would imagine the octave should go first in the chain to get the cleanest signal to work with. Then maybe chorus, overdrive, delay, and then comp. But someone with more experience may have different advice.

3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Play around with the order to see what sounds best to you. If it were me, I would try Compressor - Zoom B2 - Overdrive - Chorus - Delay. But there really is no proper order. Different pedals sound "better" in different combinations.

4. JensCambre

JensCambre

you should do what sounds best to you, play with it... it takes a lot of time to find out what works best for you.

I put my overdrive/fuzz at the beginning, stuff like chorus, reverb, delay,... I would put at the back. can't say anything about the compressor, I never had one... My effects are or on my board in the order you can find them in my signature!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ashterdam

ashterdam

There is no right or wrong in placing those order. But given the list you had listed, I would put this into consideration.

Compressor - Zoom B2 - Chorus - Overdrive - Delay.

Take some time and experiment it, I know it's a hassle but it's worth it once you've got everything in place. Based on experience, I really hated it the first time to figure out which one goes first and second and etc.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Compressor - Zoom B2 - Overdrive - Chorus - Delay

A always put time based effects last in the chain, so chorus and delay would be last no matter what on my board. The rest are up to personal opinion on how they sound, especially if you're going to use them together.