1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Effects loop multiple amps question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Stoke, Jan 15, 2014.

1. The Stoke

The Stoke

Ok... I've read a lot of threads on effects loops and running your effects directly or through the loop. I can't find anything that relates to my specific situation. I'll start with my gear, what I'm doing, and what I want.

I have:
    Gk1001rb into an mbx 410
    Gk backline600 into an mbx 210
    Effects: boss me-50b

A large gigs I bring it all out. Medium gigs just the 1001rb and 410 and small gigs I run the backline with 210. I'm primarily concerned with the big rig. I want to run the effects just through the 210 so I can have a blending effect to have effects but keep the natural tone through my other amp. Usually at larger venues the sound guy will take a few channels between both di signals and mic the 410 so he has ultimate control of my tone. Hence the "need" for blending (and so the effects aren't so pronounced). I usually only use compression, chorus, a little od, and a minimal filter effect. My main question is should I run this way blending or run the effects to both cabs? Is there a benefit to using effects loop patch bay? Am I over thinking it? Any suggestions? I've only begun to use effects with my bass and don't want to ruin any tone that I have. Feel free to listen to my main project if the style is of any relevance:

reverbnation.com/ashanan

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. You guys rock!
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

With the effects you're using I wouldn't want any if them in the loop. I prefer OD, comp, chorus, and wah/filter type effects out front. I'm not sure if your Boss puts out a line level or instrument level signal so it may not work well with the loop anyways.

As for blending or not, that's up to you. Lugging two rigs is way too much crap for me to bring to a gig. Of what you're using, OD is the only effect that might benefit from it IMO. Even then I'd rather use a blend pedal to effectively do the same thing without the need for the 2nd rig.

YMMV
  3. Zemidlo

Zemidlo

4. The Stoke

The Stoke

I have both the heads in a rack unit and the cabs stack on each other. It's really just one rig that can be configured to suit the venue. I've heard you can damage the smaller cab running both the 410 and 210 off one amp. Hence the two amps (one for each cab). I can also eq each cab differently to get what I consider optimal tone from each cab. Can't help but shake the feeling I'm over thinking my rig.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Now that I'm home...the GK effects loop wants a line level signal, but your Boss only does instrument level. Don't bother with using the effects loop, just use it out front (straight into the amps input). You can try it to see if you prefer it very easily. In your reading, have you familiarized yourself with what an effects loop actually does? Have you read up on the order of effects?

If both cabs are 8 ohms, that's true. Each cab is getting roughly half of the amps power. The 4X10 is dividing that power by 4, while the 2X10 is only able to divide it by 2. The 2X10 speakers are getting more power than everything else.

With that said, the 1001 RB-II is more than capable of blowing any cab if you turn it up loud enough. I'd have no problem running both cabs with it and leaving the BL600 at home. Just listen for signs of distress. If you sound like you're doing something bad, you probably are.

That's all personal preference. If you like the sound you get from both rigs and can't get it from only using one amp, there is your answer. Having 3 separate signals sent FOH is a bit much IMO. No soundguy around here would deal with that unless my band hired them or we ran our own sound.

You can always try running less and see how it works out for you. I'd try the 1001 RB-II, MB-50E, and the 4X10...