Effects Loop Switcher

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

This is what I am currently using http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/radial-engineering-bigshot-efx-effects-loop Radial Engineering BigShot EFX Effects Loop

It's driving me crazy. At times, it will not put out any sound even though the rest of my equipment works just fine when I take this out of the loop. I will keep hitting the switches and NOTHING happens. I just bought this a few months ago too - I replaced the last one which ended up dying on me at the gig. I like Radial, but this particular pedal is not working for me. So, I would like to replace this pedal with something nearly identical and very close to the $80 price range. I will spend a little bit more if it is worth it.

True-Bypass for sure or some sort of circuitry that will NOT mess with my original tone. I am also looking for something that is relatively easy to buy. My initial searches keep leading me to websites that do not exist anymore and products which are TOO complex for my uses. Simpler is better here.

I am using this pedal to swap between my distortion/blend pedal loop, my clean tone, and a tuner/mute loop.

Thank you for your help. Merry Christmas :bassist::hyper:

2. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

3. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

I have the LS2 (not true bypass) and a loop-master true bypass 4 switch with master bypass and tuner out. The loop-master is on sale for $100. I'd go with that. Very simple to use and well built.

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

Well, True Bypass isn't always best. Sometimes buffered bypass is actually better (for instance over long cable runs). I've found the LS-2 to have a non-sucking buffered bypass, sounds fine .. and I'm pretty picky with a 40+ year musical background and a very involved setup ... (see link in my sig).

True Bypass was something that was adopted to improve OLD pedals that had lousy input impedances. Tons and tons and tons of hype over the past few years has erroneously made "true bypass" into some false god. Myself I prefer well done buffered bypass over mechanical hard bypass (aka "true bypass") .. for one reason because there isn't any ~pop~ sound when engaging or bypassing properly designed buffered bypass pedals. There are other reasons as well (additive/cumulative cable capacitance is another).

This article explains it very well....

http://tech21nyc.com/technotes/index.html

That having been said, if you'll include well done buffered bypass pedals into your "approved" list of pedals your choices increase many-fold.

Education is a good thing. Hype is a bad thing. Hype and propaganda is what is dividing this nation politically.

:)

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I own a Lehle D Loop, which has 2 loops plus a switchable buffer. Outstanding. I've also owned the Little Lehle, which is a single loop without the buffer switch, also very top quality stuff. They make a big line of switchers, loops, and the like, and all are of the highest quality and dependability.

8. ccouch7

ccouch7

Here's a good vid on the true bypass/buffer thing.

9. avvie

avvie

sounds to me like you have a short in it. I had the same problem once. just open it up and take a look...tug on the wires a bit. If it's handwired it should be really easy to find and fix.

10. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Those radial boxes are riveted I believe, so you'd have to drill them out and replace with screws or, if you have a riveter, rivets! That's what I'd opt for if it's acting in any way other than it should.

11. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson