1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Effects Newbie: Advice on Chain: Indignant Guitarist

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Ok I'm looking for a little advice on setting up my pedal chain. I'm brand new to effects until about 3 months ago so I sold a couple basses to load up with (way more than) everything i could ever possibly need in effectsland.
    This is my current chain (all going direct to Amp input). I was getting some hiss when I tried using the effects send/return loop on several of the pedals and splitting the chain between effects send and direct input ... but I'll try again some time down the road.

This is the chain from start to back. Anything I'm doing really wrong? I haven't had a lot of time to experiment as much as I would like and it's a bit of a new world for me.

Planet Waves Strobe Tuner
    MXR Bass Compressor (need more time to tweak)
    EBS Octabass Octive
    Boss OBD-3 Bass Over Drive
    Wounded Paw Battering Ram Fuzz/Distortion (GREAT PEDAL)
    Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver
    Boss Flanger BF-3
    Boss PH-2 Super Phaser (sure wish I could find song to play it in)
    Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
    Boss DD-20 Delay (need more time to tweak)

Then direct input into amp (usually MarkBass Tube800 with SWR Goliath III 4x10 and Yorkville 410B)

One last bit of gear coming to complete the setup is Behringer Synth pedal but it's on back order in Canada until JUNE if you can believe it!

I haven't figured out a lot of it yet but I'm hoping to get extended time up north this year so I figure I'll have time to sit down and experiment (on rainy days or when the bugs are biting too badly anyway :cool:
    The best thing is that my guitarist was extremely Indignant that my pedalboard now doubles his in shear magnitude.:hyper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

**not currently in use Boss EQ-20 Advanced EQ (that's for when I dial in through tube amp.

2. El Raro

El Raro

I'd personally put the Sansamp at the end of the chain but thats because I use those pedals solely as preamps. If you're using it as a dirt pedal then its fine where it is. I'd also put the octave pedal after all your dirt pedals. General rule of thumb is modulation effects go after overdrives. Then again, a lot of that is up to personal preference so just depends what sounds best to you. Personally, I prefer my mod effects after my dirt. Other than that, your signal chain looks fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read that your hiss problem was only in the FX loop. Board looks great. Welcome to the sickness :D

3. sketch

sketch

Your current setup is just fine, actually. Some personal-preference differences.

Like El Raro, I also prefer SansAmp at the end. I use mine as an amp simulator/preamp, thus at the very end of the chain, it's the same place as your amp.

My personal preference is for Phaser before distortion but after Compressor, and Octave after Distortions before modulation. I don't care for EQ pedals, as using a preamp (SansAmp) last in the chain serves the same purpose for me.

Play around with it... sometimes I prefer Flanger before Distortion, too, but not always.

4. SteveV74

SteveV74

I have a question for anyone who can answer, i have a Peavey tour 450 head, can I use the sansamp bass driver in my effect chain into my head? Its basically a preamp direct box right? Is it safe to use it like an effect pedal ? Will it hurt my head?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it is a preamp/direct box. No, it will not hurt your head. Although with any gain device, you want to make sure you are not driving the speakers too hard.

7. SteveV74

SteveV74

Thanks man, i appreciate the info, chasing an impossible tone so Im experimenting with...well....everything.

8. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

You and 250,000 other bass players on this site. You're in good compay. :)

9. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

that ampeg cab is a thing of beauty

10. SteveV74

SteveV74

Lol you're right, its nice to be in the company of gear-sluts like myself. It sucks when you have new gear you wanna brag or ask questions about but no one around you understands.

11. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

One of the many great things about Talkbass is that if you have a sound you like and an post a clip someone will be able to tell you what they used(approximately at least) to achieve that sound. So if there's an example of what you want post a clip.

12. Denver Max

Denver Max

I always thought octave was supposed to go first for the best tracking? Is it time to move my Second Voice around perhaps?

13. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Actually that Ampeg cab is a refinished powered SBT. The poweramp in the back still works but I'm not using it in my current setup.
    It really rattles the house down.

14. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

Generally accepted rule - the pedals that mash your signal the most usually go towards the end of the chain. In your case I would run the drivers first, then flange, phaser, chorus, octave and delay and the compressor last. The reason to run the comp. last is to smooth the peaks and valleys caused by the delay/octave pedals or run it as a limiter to keep your sub-octave tones from eating everything in their path. There are no rules however and messing with the order of things can produce very different tones. Nice set-up you have there, guitarists always play better when they're angry.