Effects not powering up!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scorn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Scorn

Scorn

Hey guys

Last weekend i was cleaning up my pedal board and noticed fraying in the power chord to my daisy chain. So i cut the cord and re-soldered it shorter. Now none of my pedals will turn on or even pass a signal. I get a signal when using a 9v battery in some of the pedals but the LED light doesn't turn on to say that the pedal is engaged.

Pedals:
    Boss DD7 (works with 9v battery)
    Boss ODB3 (works with 9v battery)
    Boss BF3 Flanger (works with 9v battery)
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah (No sign of life)
    Korg Pitchblack (Yet to try with 9v battery)

Anyone have any idea how/why this happened? I have replaced the adaptor with a brand new one and still the same.

Using a multimeter on the adaptor chord gives me 9V's but testing the daisy chain units individually barely registeres 1V!

Please help!

2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Might you have reversed the polarity when you spliced the cable back together? That can fry stuff.

3. Scorn

Scorn

Yeah thats what im thinking... Just testing further, all pedals work perfectly with 'fresh' 9v batteries! Leds, switches, volumes! Everything is perfect...

so what i really need is any information about what to replace inside these pedals?!? Is it a simple Diode in each pedal that i need to replace?

I am handy with a soldering iron, but not great at reading schematics...

Does anyone have any useful information???

4. alec

alec

Have you tried removing the daisy chain and plugging each pedal straight into the adaptor?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    +1 If you're getting 9V out of the adapter, but 1V at the daisy chain, it sounds like there is a short in the daisy chain, or a weak connection to the daisy chain.

7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

get a multimeter, even a cheap one will let you test for continuity, polarity and voltage before "testing" it on you pedals.

8. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

yea, you may have fixed the obvious damage, but more damaged wires may still be hidden. It sounds like you shiuld just spend the $10-$20 and get a new daisy chain cable to play it smart.

9. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a boss me50b that won't power on with either a one spot or fresh batteries. A guy at my church checked out all of the electronics and couldn't find anything wrong. Any guesses

10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Multitester. First start by testing the power switch with resistance (unit not powered) to make sure the switch is working. Then plug it in and turn it on and use the multitester on the DC voltage setting and test each conneciton from the jack/batteries, both side of switch and wires until it get to circuit board. If you have power to the circuit board and still not working, you will need to have it serviced by someone how is trained in electronics. But it could be the switch or wires, then you have a shot at DIY.

11. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

I believe this is the process he went through because he has access to all of the testing equipment at his job. I would send it off, but it would almost be cheaper to buy a new pedal.

12. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

This is true.

13. Scorn

Scorn

Hey Guys, As stated in the original post i used a multimeter to test voltage of the cords and everything was working perfectly...

Last night i plugged my daisy chain into my guitarists T-rex power adaptor and everything powered up perfectly... So answer to the problem is that all my pedals were never broken, but the adaptor to power up the daisy chain was stuffed.

I had plugged the power adaptor directly into each pedal to test that, however even plugged in directly, the would show no sign of life...

Thanks all for your speedy responses!

14. Scorn

Scorn

I had come to that realisation that i may as well just go an buy all new pedals... But im glad i continued trying new things and testing individual components to find the problem!

15. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Sorry, I missed the part where you used a meter.