1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Effects on an eub?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by grimjim, Jan 26, 2014.

1. grimjim

grimjim

I am new here and new to the eub world as well so if this has already been discussed please find it in your heart to have pity on me.:)

I have been playing an electric bass for years and thought since I knew the neck it wouldn't be too difficult to learn an upright. Man was I mistaken.

I purchased a NS and I am contemplating getting a small effects processor, like a zoom multistomp or similar. I think I would like to try adding a little compression, reverb and possibly a little chorus.

Anyway my question (this time anyway) is this: Is it worth trying out? or should I just concentrate on technique?

I read the " making an eub sound like an upright" post but didn't really get the answer I was looking for. And yes, that is the purpose for wanting an effects unit.

Thanks in advance,
    Grim
  2. Hathernman

Hathernman

I use an old analogue Boss CE2b with my Aria and sounds great. Seems to add a bit of acousticness!
    Although a lot of people say you shouldn't I always use a Sansamp with a touch of drive. Fattnens the sound up beautifully.
  3. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    If your goal is making the NS sound more like an upright, I would put a legit set of URB strings on the bass, and raise the bridge. That is going to get you a better URB sound, although Mark Gollihur puts it best, in that "the best a EUB is going to do is sound like an URB through a pickup."

If your goal is making a lot of noises and sounds that won't be URB related, by all means get those effects! I run my NS through a lot of different things to get sounds that wouldn't be traditionally possible, or sound that good with only piezos.