Effects pedal don't work on my new bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Frohman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Frohman

Frohman

Just finished my latest build today, and proudly brought it to practice. So I play the thing in for the first time and she sounds great, until I try to hit the overdrive pedal and signal cuts. Turn the pedal off, bass comes back on. I try different pedal, and it also cuts the sound. No mute buttons or anything like that has been hit. All cables are working, pedals work fine with other basses and guitars. Why won't it play with my new bass?

Electronics are a set of active EMG JV's.
  2. rjovin

rjovin

was your old bass passive? when i try my active bass on my pedalboard (all set with my passive bass) the volume is cut.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Somewhat exactly one of the reasons I no longer have any basses with EMG's. I never could get them to play well with pedals. However, I never had an issue with them cutting the bass off, just bad sound. That's because of the impedance difference between the active pickups and the pedals. Don't get this confused with active basses which have passive pickups...which is how most active basses are setup...they work fine. It's just the actual active EMG pickups.

Are the pedals you are using true bypass?
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    just to see if EMG's didn't play nice with my pedals, I just tried one of my jazz basses that has JV's in it with 6 of my OD pedals and all of them worked great with it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Terracite

Terracite Supporting Member

Not trying to be insulting, but were all your pedals on the same power supply?
  7. icecycle66

icecycle66

What pedals are you using?

I'm really trying not to be sceptical of your issue, but pedals don't really work like that. You can plug just about anything into most pedals and get a sound out of it. If one instrument works then any other should also work.

Mmbongo has a good point, it might not sound as good, but it shouldn't be totally cutting out just because you are using a different bass.
  8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

If you are using battery power in your pedals try changing the battery. With some pedals even if you are using a wall wart power supply the pedal will still fail if it has a dead battery inside. If it has a true bypass that might explain why your bass works until you engage the pedal.
  9. A_moly

A_moly

Definitely not a bass problem. It must be a power issue.
  10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    actually, any bass that has an active preamp in it (with passive or active pickups) have a low impedance output compared to a completely passive bass.
  11. Frohman

Frohman

My main workhorse is a passive Fender P.

Yes, they are true bypass.

Yes, they were. T-Rex Fuel Tank.

At that particular point, I was using an EBS Valvedrive and an EBS Octabass.

I know pedals don't work like that. They worked just fine with my previous active bass, a MM Bongo, which has an 18v preamp. They work fine with my fender. They worked fine on the guitarists guitars, they worked fine with the piano players contact mic. They didn't work with my new bass. It's completely illogical.

Maybe. I can check, but I doubt the batteries are dead, as one of the pedals in question doesn't even have a battery.

My thoughts too. PS works fine, though. Where's the problem at?

And I repeat, as stated: I have used these pedals with an MM Bongo. It has an 18v preamp.
  12. therhodeo

therhodeo

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding as to what goes on either in EMG's or with other active pre's.
  13. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    If you plug in another instrument (which your band did) and they work, then the issue is with the output of your bass. Overload the input of your pedals and get less the desirable results.
  14. IncX

IncX

its also possible that you are daisy chaining pedals, because some pedals short out and dont make a sound in a daisy chain. i had that experience with a dBA Robot
  15. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

I think the Fuel Tank doesn't have isolated outputs doesn't? That would just be a daisy chain in a box.
  16. Frohman

Frohman

I just looked at my pedal and... Just disregard this thread, I am a huge idiot and don't deserve your time.

I'll just go sit in a corner over here.
  17. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I wasn't even posting in this thread, and I want to know the answer now. No teasing.

Were you stomping on a tuner pedal?
  18. David Jayne

David Jayne

19. Frohman

Frohman

The EBS Valvedrive has plugs input left, output right, opposite of all the other pedals I own. I don't use my board atm, so I set the pedals up every week before practice. And sometimes you just... f**k up, I guess.
  20. Bread Knife

Bread Knife

Yay it's fixed! Loud noises again!
  21. Frohman

Frohman

And the worst part is: It's not even the first time I've done this mistake...