Efficient 'n cheap 210 DIY design?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eukatheude, Mar 25, 2014.

1. eukatheude

eukatheude

So I read the thread about the "vertical 410" and thought that's just what I need. I was thinking of building a fEARful but it would have been too expensive since I'd need two of them (two bands, different rehearsal rooms). Having two 210's would give me the maximum portability AND versatility. Plus I assume it would be cheaper than the fEARful drivers, and definitely easier to build, not to mention I can build just one now and when I need/can build another one.
    So I come here asking for your advice. :D Are there any proven good designs for 210's? Have you built your own and want to share measurements? Any recommended drivers?
    Thanks!
  2. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

You haven't said anything about what your tone preferences are, musical genres played, spl requirements or amplifier to be used, but efficient and cheap will definitely limit performance. You might check out this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/what-specs-look-choosing-speaker-1061020/, especially post #14.
  3. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

TBer Arjank has been championing the Oberton 10B200 all over the subforum: do a search or try paging him for details.
    (Probably not ideal for a one-way design though.)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eukatheude

eukatheude

Right. I play in a prog rock band which doesn't keep absurd volumes, but I'd like to have enough volume available if need be.
    I play lots stuff, but I'm into post rock, noise and so on. So I would be playing with effects. I should also mention I use a 5 string.
    I realise that having cheap, low and loud all together is pretty much impossible. But I think I can at least build a single 210 (I already have a bad 115 cab, so for the moment I'd be content with just building a single 210) with decent drivers and staying into budget. Which would be around 200€-ish, hopefully less but if it's worth it maybe a bit more. The amp is an Ashdown Mag 300, but it will be replaced in the future.
    I'd also like to have a tweeter in one of them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Those look a bit hard to build for me, though. I don't have a workshop so I'll have to work in my small apartment, which means that even gluing two rectangular pieces of wood is going to be a challenge.

Saw his name around.
    One way design?
  7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

You may find it needs a midrange driver and/or tweeter, and thus a crossover of some sort - it could sound a little too dark on its own.
  8. eukatheude

eukatheude

I'd put a tweeter in one of the cabs, however I don't think there's enough space for a mid driver.
  9. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I'd rethink the fEARful 12/6. It's a proven design. You could invest considerable time and money developing your own, and might still not achieve your performance goal.
  10. oerk

oerk

The Oberton 10B200 looks like it could work well without a seperate mid driver.

However, I would strongly suggest building a cab with a mid driver, the difference is more than noticeable.

This is also a good alternative: http://www.jobst-audio.de/musiker/gitarre/171-ansie-212 - not cheap, but certainly worth it (yes, it's in German - PM me if you need help with that).
  11. eukatheude

eukatheude

It's very tempting. Having two 210's would be great for my situation though, it reduces schlepping to zero. And the fEARful would still be more expensive, I'd have to spend 250€ for the full range driver alone. And since on Thomann the 12'' driver costs as much as the 15'', I'd go directly for the 15/6. Still, it's out of my price range.

Not cheap - not an option! :D Thanks anyway.
  12. StraightSix

StraightSix

Why not just buy a decent second hand 210 cab from a proven manufacturer - way easier than trying to build a cab in your apartment...then add another later when you have more cash.
  13. eukatheude

eukatheude

Already checked local ads, nothing that seems worth it. I'd like to keep it DIY if at all possible.
  14. StraightSix

StraightSix

It will probably cost more to build than buy second hand...
  15. eukatheude

eukatheude

Don't know. On average I see cabs costing around 150€ but nothing that picks my fancy. Either Ashdown or Hartke, nothing else.
  16. rogypop

rogypop

you should really consider fitzmaurice's jack 12. with eminence basslite s2012 it would outperform any 2x10 cab and would stay within your budget. If you cant make the cuts yourself some woodshop could do it for you.
  17. oerk

oerk

150€ is not much for a good cab. The Hartke, while not everyone's cup of tea, is well worth it - provided it's not from the Transporter series.

Might I suggest my own design?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/diy-12-6-1-cab-design-1064465/
    Can be built without the horn. Can be built as a rectangular box. I can help you with both.
    The Monacor woofer costs around 200€, the Celestion mid can be had for 35€. I think the crossover will be around 30-40€. Wood is cheap. Plus whatever hardware and finish you want/need.
  18. eukatheude

eukatheude

The driver is a lot cheaper. That's a good option, but it might be hard to build. There's a big DIY supplies reseller here which cuts woodfor you when you buy it, however they only do straight cuts and that's why I intended to build a simpler 210.
    From the image, this cab looks like hell to build!
  19. eukatheude

eukatheude

By the way, I should mention I already have a 15'' driver available: a very old RCF 15/554 which now is in a "homemade" cab I bought for real cheap some time ago.
    I tried messing around with the driver parameters in Win ISD but never really understood how to use it.
  20. oerk

oerk

If you have the T/S parameters, I'll do the simulation for you.
  21. eukatheude

eukatheude

Thanks! I appreciate it!

HTML:
    fs     33hz
    Qms  7
    Qes   0.21
    Qts   0.2
    Mms  0.061 kg
    Cms   0.00038 m/N
    D      0.32 m
    Sd    0.0804  m^2
    Vas   0.34 m^3
    RE    6.25 Ohm
    Bl     19.4 Tesla*m
    Vo    0.00036 m^3
    Xmax  +-4.5mm
    n0    5.64%

btw, can you actually write HTML into those tags? I tried making a table but it just printed out the tags.