1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EH Big Muff: Green Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Hello All,

This is my first post in the effects area so please be kind to a effects new comer. So I have done a pretty good search on this subject and found that a lot of folks do not like this pedal too much. Or should I say most say “it’s a beginner pedal”. So what I would like to do is have all the folks that like this pedal and use it please chime in, in its defense. :D

Thanks

Shaun

2. satellite4

satellite4

It's been my fuzz for 2 years now. I love the heavy sound... and even though I only use it for 1 or 2 songs in my band's set list, I still play with it all the time during solo practice.

Love to add my micro POG octaver with it, and click on the overdrive...nice huge heavy sound.

Bought it $45 used here on TB.

3. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

As far as muffs go, the original tall font ones are just awesome. I've owned many boutique clones and settled on an original. Not sure who doesn't like em but they, and their clones, get lots of love around here.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Love the green big muff. I've been playing for 23 years. I don't claim to be the second coming of Jaco, but I'm definitely not a beginner. :)

Some people don't think they have a good pedal until they've paid $500 for something you've never heard of. But if you look at pro pedal boards, there's lots of Boss and EHX. I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect the market for boutique pedals is largely weekend warrior types.

:bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. snowblinder

snowblinder

Oh man, the green Russian Big Muff is awesome. Scored one used a few years ago for $150. It's the original "tall font" one. I don't use it often, but it serves its purpose here and there and sounds great doing so. Sounds even better used in conjunction with a midrange boost of some sort (I use a Proco Rat with mine, keeping the distortion as low as possible on each).

Seriously, really nice pedal. Not for everyone I guess.

7. ODDBALL

Of course I am speaking of the newer Big Muff with the 3 way toggle.

Thanks

Shaun

8. snowblinder

snowblinder

Oh. Didn't know there was a newer Muff in a green box. Apologies.

9. ODDBALL

No worries, I am new to the pedal world. :)

Shaun

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The current Bass Muff PI is a very good pedal; great bang for the buck. It will do 95% of what most people want.

Once you've done that and want more, you may venture in something like the Wren and Cuff Tall Font or Sovtek Bubble Font. Love the SUF pedals too, the Civil War and Dirty Rooster are epic pedals.

11. Klausklaerwerk

Klausklaerwerk

that's right, if you are a hipster, buy any muff which is 30 years old, halfway broken and sounds like **** for 500$ on ebay.
    if you want a good, nice sounding pedal, buy the latest bass big muff! it's just great, although it sometimes is a little hard to use it in a band setting. but some playing around with the dry-mode will figure this.

12. nendo

nendo

You might want to be a bit more specific when talking about big muffs as there are loads available.

If you talk about a big muff and associate it to a colour then more than likely people are going to assume you are talking about the old discontinued Russian big muffs by Sovtek (Sister company to Electro-Harmonix)

Russian big muff - Black
    Russian big muff - Green

But if your talking about the new one then you might want to mention its the Bass big muff PI

Just so it doesn't get confussing and people start talking about the wrong pedals :)

13. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Japp! It always has to be spectacular and "I have found that one gear guru living up that high mountain where he creates stuff for the chosen ones". Seriously, it is just a bunch of resistors , caps, coils and potmeters.
    Got a bigmuff pi a couple of years ago. Bought it online without ever havng heard one in real. Used it, still like it. I tried some stuff in shops lately, but my muff became my sound, so... I am overdriven for 70 euros! I like that :)

14. WoundFlat

WoundFlat

The bass big muff was the first pedal I ever bought, and it's still on my board three years later. That's not to say I don't have other fuzzes for different applications, but the BBM has worked well enough that I haven't looked to replace it with a tall font or the like. The "dry" mode serve me well for keeping low end at the start, but recently I put it in a wet/dry blend using a Boss LS-2, an it's even more awesome.

15. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

Well I am a weekend warrior, yet my board is filled with Boss :D

Tried the bass big muff, it's good. I just can't find how to use it with my current band. We're doing original, post-rock songs, yet out of the 10 songs that we've wrote none of them requires distorted or fuzzy bass

16. wshines1892

wshines1892

I really like mine. Also, I'm a big fan of EHX pedals, particularly dirt boxes. I wasn't sure at first because I don't have much use for fuzz, but I've learned to use it. I used it just today as a matter of fact for a worship set. It was a youth group thing so there was room to be a little more edgy sound-wise.

My only qualms with it is that there is a volume jump when used in the blend mode. I'm currently looking into modding a master volume control into it, it's floating around here somewhere. Other than that, my only wish is that it were lower gain, but it's nothing that can't be fixed by tweaking the sustain knob.

From what I understand they modeled it after the original, and added some mods in with the toggle switch, like a bass boost and a blend mode. Their goal was to cram that circuit with the mods into a little big muff sized casing, hence the micro chips.