EHX Bass Micro-Synth Octave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Hi, I'm just wondering about how well some of the features of the EHX Bass Micro-Synth work on their own.

Can anyone give me some feedback about how it sounds being used solely as an octave pedal? Is the pedal all analogue?

I currently have a Micro POG, but I've considered a change to a more versatile pedal like the Bass Synth.

I know the octave up isn't very strong, but I'm more interested in the octave down.

If it's helpful, I quite like the sound of the Aguilar Octamizer. How does the octave feature on the Bass Synth compare to that sound?

Thanks in advance!

Shaun
  2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

3. shenanigans

shenanigans

The octave isn't bad, exactly, but it isn't as good as a dedicated octave. This is primarily because the filter is always cutting off some frequency band that you might (or at least I did) want. A straight octave pedal usually has filtering or tone controls that are tailored to give the pedal 'its sound'. But on the BMS the filtering is designed to make it sound like a triggered synth.

Yes, it is way more versatile than an octave pedal, and you may prefer its synthy awesomeness to a straight octave once you mess with it a little.

Yes it is all analog.
  4. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

I own and use both.

The microsynths suboctave works very well as part of the synth sounds of the BMS, to give it that low foundation. On it's own however, it provides a workable low rumble under your note, but is not as well defined as most dedicated analogue octavers.
    I find the Octamizers suboctave to sound much better, tracks a bit better, and above all is much more versatile (as a suboctave of course, as the BMS is of course more versatile overall).

The octave up on the BMS is not weak at all, in fact I like it a lot! It is distortion based like any analogue octave-up (yes, the entire BMS is analogue), so as long as you don't expect a clean octave-up it sounds great. EHX could make a succesfull pedal out of this feature alone.

Overall: don't buy the BMS to use it's elements separately. On their own they are not always that great, but the pedal puts out some awesome sounds when they are combined. The pedal is not designed as a multi-effects, but as a synth (imitation) pedal.
    So, if you want to get some oldschool 70-ies synth-sounds: get the BMS. If you want suboctave: get the octamizer.
  5. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

+1 but I have an MXR BOD instead of the octamizer. Same idea though.
  6. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the BMS monophonic, meaning if you want to play more than one note at a time, forget about it? Personally I want to be sure any effect pedal I consider is able to handle chords.
  7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not necessarily interested in getting the BMS for the purpose of using its features separately, but thought if the octave was good on its own, I could trade the Micro POG. Cheers guys
  8. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

The suboctave of the the BMS is, like any other analogue octaver, monophonic. All other voices and the filter are not though, they handle chords very well.

Most synth pedals track the incoming signal and generate a synthesized sound based on that. They are almost always monophonic because of that (EHX pog and hog are exceptions, but they are a bit different than a typical synth pedal).

Because the BMS doens't generate synth sound with an oscillator, but mimics it by combining different distortion based voices (octave up and synth) and a filter (and therefore isn't a real synth) , it handles chords much better than most synth pedals. Only the suboctave needs tracking doesn't do chords.

So, good luck finding a synth pedal that tracks chords better than the BMS!
  9. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Indeed, don't trazde the Micro POG if you like it. Since it is digital, it sounds completely different and tracks 100 times better.

I would even say you need one more pedal: a dedicated analogue octaver (Octamizer, BOD, OC2, ...) :)
  10. Swift713

Swift713

The octaves were my favorite part of the BMS. I found the filter section somehow had trouble with lower notes while the sub octave managed to bow out gracefully below the A or G. I've had the pedal 3 times and they all sounded a little different.