1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ehx bass micro synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by robot10, Jan 16, 2013.

1. robot10

robot10

hi guys
    i love the sounds that my synth makes and i love listening to muse rammstien no doubt and stuff but, have difficuty creating the same sounds,
    #is there any sites out there where people share settings for this effect and others????? :bassist::D

2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I don't think you're going to nail Muse or No Doubt settings with the BMS. A real synth or a Deep Impact will give you what you want.

3. robot10

robot10

Thanks for your reply, I would love a deep impact but have never had a chance to buy one, as I know muse use them, I just feel with the amount of ajustments the micro synth can do, it should be able to handle most sounds.

4. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Not really, to be honest. It doesn't tweak as much as filter in sections of effects. The biggest "tweakable" section is the filter sweeps. Other than that it's very straightforward.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

7. lovefist

lovefist

I own one and sadly only use it on my band's intro tune as a THX style swell. Anyone feel that it is better to have this pedal right after the tuner?

8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

i run mine after an mxr bass compressor and i feel like it really helps control the sound more. and i love to drive it with my bb premap, it really beefs it up. i find it to have pretty versatile sounds, but it still cant get alot of the more modern synth sounds. the EHX does a great moog type synth, but alot of the more modern digital synth sounds cant be reached.

9. robot10

robot10

Thanks for the template, but I have seen them before I was more looking for people views on creating these famous sounds like muse plug in baby or michael jackson thriller or rammstein engel, this pedal is very versatile but very fiddley to set lol, I get some great tones out off it just don't know how to fine time it to get the sound I want??

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Plug in Baby is most likely the Deep Impact, maybe being pushed by some dirt to get that "peaky" sound. If I were trying to get that tone without a Deep Impact I'd use an octaver into fuzz and a blended Bassballs. It's not a sound the BMS can cop.

Thriller is actually a song I've covered (as part of a medley) and gotten very close with a Deep Impact. With the BMS I'd try running an octaver in front of it, with the guitar slider high, little to no octave down, and just a bit of octave up and squarewave with the filter sweeping downward. One problem is that the tone/envelope changes during the break and the BMS doesn't have a touch sensitive ASDR. You can just bend over and change the sliders and it would work well enough live.

As for Rammsteing, I'm starting to see rratajski's point - these are all tones that a Deep Impact is better suited for. Again with the BMS you'll want a very quick down sweep on the filter (finishing fairly low but not off) with the resonance around 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up.

The only No Doubt song that I immediately thought of as having a strong synth line is Hella Good which has that underlying LFO'd squaretooth line. A fuzz and square wave trem might cop that. The main line is also a sawtooth synth which you could cop with a synthy, gated fuzz like the Chunk Brown Dog or a pedal like the Octavius Squeezer, Markbass Super Synth or Korg G5. With the BMS you'd basically use just the square wave, set the start and stop sliders even with one another and move them to where it sounds good. It won't be exact and it will lack the decay of the actual line (because the BMS lacks a gate) but it might get you there.

There are other synth sounds in that song but I'd think you'd be focused on the main one. Of course there's also actual bass which doesn't always follow the synth exactly so I'd probably just turn up the guitar slider for a doubling effect and not worry about it.

11. winterburn69

winterburn69

Has anyone compared this to the regular EHX Micro Synth? I'm looking for a new synth pedal (returned my Boss SYB-5) and I find the EHX Micro Synth more appealing than the EHX BMS (purple is my favourite color, and that's the only reason I'm considering it over the BMS) but if there's a huge difference I'd obviously go with the EHX BMS.

And can either one get a "Madness" (by Muse) sorta sound? I got it from the SYB-5 but that's about the only thing I found it did really well.

I didn't know about the Hella Good effect. Always kinda wondered about that. I used to play that in a band but that was before I used a lot of effects so it was just a clean sound.