1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EHX BassBalls vs MOOER Bass Sweeper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AngryPig1, Apr 7, 2014.

1. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Hi does anyone know if the Mooer Bass Sweeper is:

1) a clone of the bassballs? but with what looks like the mods already built in, or at least the ability to bick your sweeper range.

2) any good?

I've been looking into getting a bassballs but im not sure if im up for doing the mod myself and cant find any pre modded ones as I hear BassBHalls without the mod is somewhat rubbish compared to one with the mod...

thanks

2. omie

omie

Yes, the sweeper is a bb clone. I tried it and it wasn't my thing, the 'ping' envelope effect is different from recordings I've heard of the bassballs and my rocktron heart attack(another bb clone).

Best thing about it is that the internal trimpots are on the outside.

I'd suggest that this is a personal thing and that you simply must try them out for yourself.

That said, I saw a rocktron in the classifieds for $25 shipped. worth checking out, and remember to adjust the internal trimpots to taste.

3. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

ah ok. I'll have a listen to a bunch of soundclips. I can definately try out the mooer, they are stocked everywhere at the moment..

Unfortunately Im UK based so the $25 shipped would increase dramatically...

I suppose i could always get a BassBalls and convince an electrician I know to mod it for some beeror something..

thanks for the reply though

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

Please, what is this mod you speak of ..?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

the mod for the BassBalls, have a little search in the FX forum but as far as im aware there are 2 interntal trim pots that you can use to change the frequency of the sweep (someone wade in hear if im getting this wrong). It just means its a lot more tweakable and wont get lost in the mix or you can xset it to your particular style much more easily than unscrewing the back plate and fiddling with screwdrivers..

7. bassbrad

bassbrad

Yes the Sweeper is a clone of the BassBalls, so is the Rocktron Heart Attack. I have all 3 & am really beginning to really dig the Sweeper. The Sweeper is more sensitive than my old bass balls so I have to keep the sensitivity low.

The Bass Balls mod moves the internal trim pots, outside so you can tune the Lo and hi filters to your taste which I find to be more expressive and synth like in some settings. It is a simple mod but it seriously changes the BB, the Sweeper comes with the mod.

8. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Do you find much of a volume jump when kicking in the sweeper? Some of the comments I found on TB suggested that the bassballs had a noticeable volume boost when engaged especially if the sensitivity was up passed 11 ish..

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A volume boost would be nice. When I had a Bassballs on my board it was like having an "invisible bassist" pedal.

10. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Do you mean a serious loss of lowend and volume? cos that would suck....

11. bassbrad

bassbrad

Sensitivity=input gain. So boosting that does increase the output volume. I have not noticed as much of an issue with the Sweeper, it seems to have a more consistent volume.