Ehx Electric Mistress

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Does anyone out the have any experience with the EHX Electric Mistress chorus/flanger pedal? I'm trying to decide between getting a flanger or chorus but this one does both.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Personal preference. The Electric Mistress is an awesome effect, but many, myself included, prefer "other" chorus or flanger sounds. But, what it does, it does very well.

3. jmceachern36

The reason I ask is ones for sale locally cheap. What's your choice for chorus and flange? I've owned a bf2 and was happy with it. I tried the boss chorus but I thought it was to subtle.

4. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Which Electric Mistress are you referring to? Since you stated that this one does both, are you referring to the Stereo Electric Mistress?

I have a Deluxe Electric Mistress. IMHO, it has a somewhat chorus like sound (I've heard this referred to as a wet or lush sound). If that's Electric Mistress you are referring to, it might suit your needs since you are trying to decide between a chorus and a flanger.

Ben

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually, analog chorus and analog flanger are based around the same circuit, so it is fairly common to find both functions in one pedal. I can think of almost a dozen examples. IME, however, most of them do one end of the spectrum better than the other. That might be why Ben there says his Mistress can do a "chorus like sound"; it can in fact do chorus the way any chorus pedal can, but maybe not that great (not lush, or too metallic, or something).

My favorite flanger is an old DOD Performer, and my favorite chorus is an Exar Moby Dick. But there are LOTS of options--just do a search. ;)

7. jmceachern36

I believe it's the stereo version.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Go play it, and see if you like it or not. I owned one, but didn't keep it for long. It's a cool effect, but there are better flangers and better chorus pedals. Lots of 'em.

9. jmceachern36

Unfortunately the guy seems unwilling to let me try it so I'll have to pass on it.

10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

+1

11. Inconnu

Inconnu

If it's the Stereo mistress, I have it. It's cool. It doesn't cut lows. The flanger and chorus are sort of in parallel, it doesn't sound like if you have a flanger and a chorus plugged in one after the other, it's more like blending both effects together. Very cool. It's a shame the guy who's selling it is not willing to let you try it... what's the point?

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If the seller won't let you try before you buy, then there's something wrong with it, and the seller is a crook.(assuming this is a local sale), of course.)

13. jmceachern36

Got a strange vibe from the guy. Not worth taking a chance. yes local.

14. Inconnu

Inconnu

Not worth taking chances indeed... but still, if you come across that pedal from a trusted source, I highly suggest you at least try it out. It's a pretty cool pedal, nice sounding for such different uses then slapping and playing fretless.

15. jmceachern36

I will. I saw a nice demo of it on YouTube. Sounded cool.