Ehx English Muff'n malfunction

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wardevil, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Wardevil

Wardevil

I really love my english muff'n tube overdrive but since a few months ago it started to act really weird. Sometimes it functions just fine but sometimes (here's the problem) it gives an ugly fuzz sound, i also noted when this happens it doesnt pick up really silent notes. When i play silent nothing happens and as i increase volume after a certain point huge weird fuzz suddenly appears (it goes from nothing to fuzz in an instant). I did found out if i press really hard against the casing right next to the output jack it sometimes gets better and it switches to normal sound. this only works once in a while tho.

This is terribly annoying during gigs or studio work, it makes the pedal almost unusable because i never know if it'll function right.

So does anybody here have any idea what the problem might be? And if it's fixable? If not maybe some advice for another pedal which gives almost the same sound.

2. Crater

Crater

Increase WHAT volume? On your bass? The volume control on the pedal? It could be a problem with the input jack, either it's not making good contact with the cable or it's loose and not making good contact with with the case. You could have dirt in one of the pots - do any of the controls (drive, volume, tone) "cut out" or cause a crackling sound as they're rotated?

Be aware, the English Muff'n uses a step-up transformer to run the tubes at high plate voltage, so please DO NOT open up the unit when it's plugged in, you risk a NASTY electric shock.

3. Wardevil

Wardevil

How loud i play (you could say input volume i guess) if i touch my strings lightly no sound but when i pluck them hard it gives the fuzz. So depending on how soft or hard i pull my strings i get either no sound or that weird fuzz.

And havent checked the pots when it had the fuzz sound. Whenever i get the normal sound the pots work just fine without any scratching or noises.