EHX H.O.G. Club

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sillyfabe, May 31, 2012.

1. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Hello there talkbass! Out in the land of thousands upon thousands of pedals there exists one pedal by Electro-Harmonix...the H.O.G. (Harmonic Octave Generator). Chances are if you own one of these then you know there is A LOT of options with this monster....and chances are you want to know all it can do. How do you use yours?

Product page:http://www.ehx.com/products/hog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thread is for any owner of a H.O.G., (picture of yours is mandatory to join). I'll keep track of numbers if anyone wants any....

BUT!

This thread is welcome to anyone with questions, answers, tips, tricks, weird suggestions and overall any constructive advice/feedback that can be given with regards to this beast...

TIPS/TRICKS:

1) Everyone loves the Bass Whammy and the (in)famous 5th/OCT+1 setting. The H.O.G. has this with complete polyphony! You will need and exp pedal, set the HOG to OCT bend. Set the sliders to ORIG only. Now using the side control on the exp pedal tune in a 5th. Now it will go from a 5th to a +1.

2) The one thing every HOG owner needs to know (some of the demo videos I saw on guitar got this wrong, including the official ehx ones) is that in the gliss expression mode, the expression pedal's position controls the SPEED of the glissando (or morph if you will), the expression pedal is not like a whammy, that moves you from one pitch to the next. Glissando is essentially polyphonic AUTO-whammy. So essentially, in gliss mode, think of the expression pedal as though it were a knob- put it in the right middle position and leave it still. (Thanks to ryansalmond for this tip).

3) Heres a simple one: this pedal is a nice "Slow-Gear" albeit with a LOT more control. One of my presets is as as follows: 5th up, exp rev ith exp toe down. (now have a 5th down) envelope mode on and set it to lose your initial attack. That envelope control can really alter a sound if need be.

4) Love some chorus? Lets show you how with this beast! Set to step-bend, set dry and ORIG at unity. Now either bend the exp-pedal or slightly tune the sideknob till you get a detuned chorus sound. Can be done both up or dwon tuned with the exp-rev.

The other thing to know is that if you save a preset with an expression pedal connected, the position the exp pedal was in will be remembered even if the expression pedal is disconnected when you reaccess the preset

Link to templates:
    http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/hog-templates.pdf

Link to bass-related vids:

Club:
    #1: sillyfabe
    #2: ZombiCrow
    #3: G3Mitch
    #4: coreyfyfe
  2. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow Supporting Member

May I please be #2? I've been using the HOG since MY GIRLFRIEND told me to get one! Yes, she is the best. I'd love to know more setting ideas than the stuff on the EH website, especially since I have very few of the other pedals they use to make their sound samples, in some cases.
  3. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

i'll take #3 if thats cool. My HOG is never leaving my board!!

Hog is clearly seen in this action shot:

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      603.4 KB
      Views:
  4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

:::Looks in mirror - has a sad:::
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Had mine for about 3 or 4 years now. I had a whammy and BMS that were stolen and this was my replacement. It's definitely become indispensable.

[​IMG]
  7. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Wow, suhweet board man. I'm looking at getting the Roland exp. pedal aswell. The one it comes with is so flimsy I feel like I'm gunna crush it.

Haven't been using my foot controller (doesn't fit on my board) but I use it alot at home. Pays to write down what you have saved to.
  8. sillyfabe

looking good peeps! here are some cool things that I have discovered (ALL TIPS WILL REMAIN ON THE FIRST PAGE TO PREVENT LOSING INFO....)
  9. coreyfyfe

Yeah I picked mine up used and it came with the roland pedal but the seller said that the original pedal was flimsy and they broke it in short order hence the replacement. The roland has held up well. I couldn't get by without the foot controller, too much to remember switching back and forth haha, though I really only use 3 or 4 of my settings anymore with the M9 and such.
  10. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I don't know if I'd call this a trick or not, but one of the coolest sounds I got out of my HOG before I sold it :scowl::bawl::crying::atoz: was running a BMS into the HOG. I had the BMS with a slow down sweep and the highs on the HOG with a pretty significant attack decay. The result was when the fuzzys would go out of the BMS the Angels would chorus in at every note. My band didn't have much need for that slow droning thing, but I wish it did because it was the $#!$$\%!
  11. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

this thread better not cause a H.O.G. to end up on my board!
  12. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

have u still got your pog2? i recall you saying you were gunna go analog or something??
  13. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

I used to own one. The one thing every HOG owner needs to know (some of the demo videos I saw on guitar got this wrong, including the official ehx ones) is that in the gliss expression mode, the expression pedal's position controls the SPEED of the glissando (or morph if you will), the expression pedal is not like a whammy, that moves you from one pitch to the next. Glissando is essentially polyphonic AUTO-whammy. So essentially, in gliss mode, think of the expression pedal as though it were a knob- put it in the right middle position and leave it still.

The other thing to know is that if you save a preset with an expression pedal connected, the position the exp pedal was in will be remembered even if the expression pedal is disconnected when you reaccess the preset.
  14. insomniac2295

Yup. Still have the pog2. I'm still at an impasse as to what I'm going to do.
  15. sillyfabe

updated with ryansalmond's advice and some H.O.G. gutshots!
  16. coreyfyfe

This picture annoys the hell out of me. Why is the foot controller so unnecessarily oversized. It looks like they're trying to use casings they already had for other pedals or something based on the size, but they really could have stuck that circuit in an XO sized box. I think I've seen people rehousing their controllers, and I've though about it in the past, and this has me thinking about it again...
  17. peddles

peddles

I saw one used at my guitar center for 300, kinda wanted to jump on it but actually have never heard this thing played so I stepped back.
  18. insomniac2295

It makes sense from the perspective of having large stomping space. I don't like stepping on things that I don't want stepped on.
  19. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

FARK I LOVE MY HOG.

Had to let that out.
  20. sillyfabe

So I decided that I'm going to make random vids with the H.O.G. on post them on hee with attention to one feature or more per vid to break into bite-sized chunks...

first video will be focused on freeze-gliss

coming soon!
  21. sillyfabe

Freeze-Gliss Bass Overview

also updated on first post...enjoy!