1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EHX hog2 OMG namm is killing my wallet.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Jan 11, 2013.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

I don't have the page but I just receive a email blast from them regarding this.

one comment though i kinda feel disappointed that they didnt cerate the ehx bass big muff demo but created a demo for this...

The award winning HOG (Harmonic Octave Generator) earned kudos from players and reviewers alike because of its ability to generate ten, totally polyphonic and glitch free voices ranging from two octaves below to four above the instrument's pitch-all without the need for a special pickup or instrument mods of any kind.

Now EHX takes things to the next level with the HOG2 and HOG2 Foot Controller. In addition to all of the great features of the original HOG, it offers:
    Sophisticated new algorithms to improve the quality of the ten generated octaves and harmonics as well as the Freeze function
    Full MIDI control over all parameters and presets
    Master Volume for added control and convenience. Volume levels are saved as part of a preset
    Save and recall up to 100 preset programs with the optional foot controller (versus six with the original HOG)

Of course, it still features:
    Controllable harmonic intervals: -2 octaves, -1 octave, original note, +5th, +1 octave, +1 octave +5th, +2 octaves, +2 octaves +3rd, +3 octaves, + 4 octaves.
    7 Expression Modes
    Freeze expression mode holds a note or chord-play over it or slide to new notes like a keyboardist playing portamento
    Amplitude envelope lengthens a note's attack for swells or increased decay speed.
    Dedicated resonant filtering with sweepable frequency control
    Separate lower and upper harmonic amplitude envelopes
    External expression pedal included
    Standard 9VDC 200mA power supply included

HOG2 FOOT CONTROLLER
    Instant Recall! With the HOG2's myriad sounds, the HOG2 Foot Controller gives you easy access to up to 100 stored presets. Your entire show can be set up at the touch of a button. When recording you have access to complex sound transitions that can give your songs new depth and integrity.
  2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

SUB'd so i can watch this later.....(and just when I thought the HOG was my end all pitch shifter..this comes out!?)
  3. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I have been waiting for the HOG2 for years, but this is underwhelming.
    For me, the spectral gate and envelope are useless, as is 2 oct down. I would've loved to see a pared down version instead of the same unit with minor tweaks.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Sploosh.
  5. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

yah i can see why we bass player would not use the 2 oct down, but i guess the guitarist love it
  6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

one thing to comment though if they have a fx loop like the superego i will be sold
  7. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I agree with both Ryan and Bryan. The biggest problem with the original HOG was its size, and EHX has done very little to address this, aside from shrinking the foot controller. I can think of no reason not to include the presets in the main body of the pedal, there's plenty of room on the chassis to include it and my recollection of the HOG PCB was there was plenty of room there for some more traces as well. No reason except marketing of the controller, but I'm confident they would sell many more of these if the programming was all onboard. Having said that, full control via midi is kind of a big deal.

Sorry Will, no effects loop, although there are two outputs so using an LS-2 or some other mini mixer can get you the same effect, while adding still more size to the board.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

If the freeze function works well with MIDI, I may have to get this, although I have no freaking idea where I'd fit it.

EDIT: Now that I've seen the manual, they really have made all the functions MIDI-controllable, including both freeze functions. I am now both excited and worried. I dug my old HOG but sold it quick as it was just too cumbersome and the preset box was laughable. This changes a lot if you run a MIDI setup. There's no other MIDI-controllable freeze effect that I know of out there other than the one in the Axe-FX II, and that one is not very advanced.
  9. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

FWIW it uses 9vdc center negative @ 170mA and I see no warnings against daisy chaining it in the manual.

EDIT::: Hey look, it's in the OP ;)
  10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Watched the video and as a HOG owner (and a happy one at that); its just not THAT much different to me besides the MIDI (which I won't use personally) and the preset controller (if its backwards compatible its a maybe but I already have the old controller rehoused). Would jump on it if I didn't own the first one.....
  11. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

12. Bryan R. Tyler

MadApe always lists brand new EHX stuff, usually well before they have them in stock to ship them out. Occasionally they've shown new pedals there before there's really any other news about the pedal.
  13. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I thought I'd seen in the past that they show the stuff, but show it as not available yet, but this link says it'll ship in 2-3 days.

I could be mistaken, my pedal hoarding has significantly dipped in the last 2 years.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

It says it, but it would be surprising if it was released for sale prior to NAMM.

Mine has as well. Being poor really helps with that :D
  15. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

If you worry about the size, the right kind of pedalboard will let you fit it underneath the board and control it via MIDI :)

[​IMG]

(The ones in the picture - not mine - are not controlled by MIDI, but with a programmable loop switch)
  16. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

That doesn't work for me though, I'm a hopeless knob twiddler and a sucker for sliders. :) I was never happier than when I had a HOG and a BMS on the same board.