EHX Hum Debugger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CrewsControl, Jan 8, 2013.

1. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

I just got one of these, and I have to say: Wow!

It silences single coil hum. Totally. I can now dial in different volumes on the bridge and neck pickups, and there is no hum. My single coil single pickup Peavey Patriot is dead quiet.

It's got two settings: normal and strong. The normal setting is what I use. The manual says it eliminates the odd harmonics from the hum. The strong setting eliminates even and odd harmonics. I can hear some color on the strong setting, it rolls off the highs a bit. But the normal setting is as transparent as a true bypass, to my ears.

It doesn't eliminate other electrical noise, but it does an amazing job on single coil hum. The drawback is that it's fairly pricey, and it only works with the included wall wart. It can't be powered from a battery.

But I'm loving my clean single coil hum-less sound now. :hyper::bassist:

2. kozmikyak

kozmikyak

there are some hum situations it can't handle. If the hum often changes in frequency or amplitude, or if certain other digital noise is there besides the hum, sometimes the hum will come back with a vengance, and sometimes the pedal will produce its own non-60-cycle digital tone when it tries to filter hum which is beyond its capabilities.

I've also had one of my two hum debuggers get "hung" such that I need to unplug the power and restore power to get it working again, no amount of stepping on the footswitch would get it to cancel hum. But a power cycle did it.

They're great tools, I keep two of them on my pedalboard and they're both always on. The "power cycle" thing above is something to keep in mind.

3. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I can still hear some other EM noise, but it's not as annoying as the constant hum.

4. kozmikyak

kozmikyak

Keep in mind that by no means am I knocking the product. It's just that my instrument has HORRIBLE, almost INHUMAN hum problems at two specific clubs, due to their faulty wiring, and I happen to have pushed these pedals up to their limits in those places.

Even in those places, this has happened only once or twice in 6 months, for a few seconds at a time. The rest of my times there were entirely hum-free

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

I have poor wiring in my apartment, which is why I was interested in something like this. I also get some clicks and pops from my computer, but the Hum Debugger doesn't affect those. I don't get much noise at lessons, or at practice, but this should take care of it if it surfaces.