EHX LPB-1 bass mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mikaelbass, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Mikaelbass

Mikaelbass

Hey guys,

I love everything about the LPB-1's tone and how it pushes the sound to the limit especially with my SVT although the only thing I dislike is the low end cut which seems to happen...

There must be some way for me to mod the component to stop the low end drop off?

Cheers
  2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's supposed to be a fullrange booster, but you could try increasing the values of the input and output caps (like from 100n's to 220n's or 470n's).
  3. Mikaelbass

Mikaelbass

Thanks! Apparently in this case the input and output caps go under the names C-1 and C2? I wonder which value would be best suited, might have to come to a trial and error situation, but hopefully not.

I do suppose the drop in bass just could be from the general gain boost adding distortion, creating the illusion of low end loss but for my style of music more low end is welcome anyway!
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Have you thought about a Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B? The price difference is significantly more than a component swap on the EHX, but it's designed for what you are describing. And every W&C pedal I've had has been far superior to any EHX pedal I've owned.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mikaelbass

Mikaelbass

Doesn't look too bad at all! Have you or has anyone else used one of those phat phuk B's? Was there any low end drop? Funds ATM would be much more willing for me to do a component swap, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose!
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I haven't, as I don't have a tube amp to get the most out of it (I use a Ginger pedal built by the above johnk for any of my ss boost needs). I have owned a couple of other W&C pedals and can vouch for the quality. There are plenty of players around here that swear by the Phat Phuk B, some even saying it should come with all bass purchases :eek:. The "B" model is a version specifically tuned for bass, so I can only assume that means more low end retention. From what I understand, it also boosts the treble a bit for some bite, which I noticed the LPB-1 does when I had one.

You may not get much traffic from owners in this thread, but you can do a search or check out the the Wren and Cuff club thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/official-wren-cuff-club-988137/