1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EHX LPB-1 overdriven??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by insect, Jan 16, 2014.

1. insect

insect

Hi,

I have an Ashdown LittleGiant 1000 which has a well-known poor preamp. I have read about that many people using a boost pedal before the amp to compensate the weak sensitivity.

So I obtained an Electro Harmonix LPB-1. Everyone had good opinion about it, no colorization, no noise, whatsoever etc...

I plugged my Stingray 4 into it and about noon (or even about 9) it produced a characteristic overdriven sound out of the box... If I boost the preamp eq, it became more and more aggressive (but not so nice... like clicking and so)...

If I reduce the volume on the bass, the "overdrive" disappears, even on full boost on the pedal. This way I can only achieve a slight boost, about 10dB, or less...

Is this normal, or is it a faulty unit?
  2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Normal. You're overdriving the pedal from your bass' input.
  3. insect

insect

Every clean booster is like that?
  4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Most every clean boost will break up if you send a hot signal through it. Stingrays are active and pretty hot. There are boosts that might work better with your Ray, but keep in mind the LPB-1 is a "classic" in that it is a very early, fairly unsophisticated design. It was designed primarily to get a hotter signal out of passive single coil guitars. I don't agree that it is noiseless, though it performs well for such an early design.

Honestly, I think a Stingray should have a hot enough output that you don't need a boost before that amp.
  5. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Yep. It's tricky to match any gain-based effect (boost, overdrive, fuzz, etc.) with active basses. It's a lot easier if you get a booster that has separate gain and volume controls.
  6. insect

insect

thanks guys!
  7. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

I found the LPB-1 to be pretty crappy and overdrive past 9 o'clock even with passive basses. I'm using an sfx microboost, most transparent boost you can find. I use it to compensate the difference in volume between my passive Ripper and 18v Bongo.