EHX Lumberjack/Glove/Soul Food

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Mar 25, 2014.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133

I've been out of the loop on pedals for a while recently and just now saw all of these. At the price point they look fantastic, but are they any good on bass?

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna pick up the Random Tone Generator too, and I was wondering if anyone has found a solution for the apparent volume issue/an A/B/Y input switcher with a volume control

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

There is a guy on here who's got the Glove and says it's great on bass. Not tried any of em myself!

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the Soul Food is said to be a poor man's Klon, and I've heard that they're very good sounding pedals.

4. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have a glove.
    I run it at the 18v internal voltage, and it sounds gorgeous.
    I'm a/b ing it with my b3k ATM, and it seems to be holding its own very well so far. I'm not really missing the blend of the b3 as it seems to be holding the low end superbly. For £50, his pedal is seeming to be a keeper
    Hth

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I wasn't blown away by the Joyo Ultimate Drive / American, this cost a bit more but could be the new sleeper OD for bass. I don't suppose you have any way of recording clips?

7. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I don't suppose you've tried the Joyo Ultimate Drive? Both that and the Glove are supposed to be darker OCD clones. It's the only thing putting me off buying one to try out since I didn't like the UD!

9. HelpImaRock

HelpImaRock

The Soul Food is a klone. It's decent for a midrange boost but the overdrive is terrible. Reportedly, so we're original klons. I dunno, never played one myself.

I'm interested in the Lumberjack.

zapped777 likes this.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

At 18v, huh... nice to know. I was eyeballzing the Satisfaction Fuzz and the Hot Tubes OD, but now this...

Hmm....

11. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    There's a switch inside by the jack socket. It's fairly obvious ;)

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm looking for something warmer than my Digitech BD to go dirty-almost-all-out-fuzz, without spending too much... can this do it ?

13. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    I'm using mine for lemmy esque drive. Sounds lovely ;)
    I've not tried an ultimate drive nor the digitech pedal, so I couldn't make a comparison.
    I'm not a huge fan of darker drive sounds though, so Dannybuoy it might be worth a try - it should be reasonably easy to find being ehx
    It's more than capable of the full on almost fuzz thing, but I've not checked that out at volume or in a mix, although I suspect as with most guitar based drives, it might lose some low end at that kind of gain level.

14. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

I thought I'd try the Glove, glad I did.
    LIKEY!!!!

Had tried the OCD, and the Joyo UD(pre-johnk's review, believe it or not) and neither of them stayed for long. Curious.

15. adece

adece

Disclosures:
    Local Dealer for VFE Pedals
    Sorry for the hijack, but I'd like a definitive comparison between OCD, UD and Mooer Hustle Drive since I own a Mooer (and like it) but have access to the other two.

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    hmm. to me, that's kinda strange because the UD, OCD and glove are all OCD's.
    there are quite a few versions of the OCD over the years, and the glove has an internal 18V switch (for more headroom), but other than that, they all share the same circuit.

17. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

that's what I'm sayin', strange indeed.

18. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

I have a soul food and it works good for bass for sure. I use it with my EHX East River Drive, which sounds beautiful for bass. The soul food boost really takes it over the top. Especially with a tube amp. The ERD is definitely worth checking out too. It's a TS808, and EHX asked Analog Man to help them with the specs. I'm thinking of grabbing a glove too, b/c I've heard others say it sounds good on bass.

19. jking138

jking138

I know running the Glove on 18v will give you more headroom but would it work well on bass running at 9v?
    Is there any tone variations between 18v and 9v? I'm struggling to find any info on this pedal when used with bass.

20. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv Supporting Member

I tried the Lumberjack, good low end retention but I didn't like any of the sounds I got out of it. You'd be way better off with a bass muff nano for the extra $20.

I tried the OD Glove, took it home. Great on bass, lots of usable settings. I like it a little better switched to 18v but it's fine at 9v too.

crapusername likes this.