EHX Micro Pog

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I tried out a Micro Pog today, and really enjoyed it. In saying that, I haven't tried any other octave pedals as they aren't widely available in NZ. Has anyone experienced any issues with this pedal? I did find it to be a bit thin in the lower registers, but didn't find this to be a major problem. Also, it tracked well and I really like the +1 and -1 octave option.

The Aguilar Octamizer is $180NZD cheaper, and therefore something I'd consider, but I've read that it doesn't track well down low, and also I believe it's only a sub-octave pedal?

I know the Pog is a digital, rather than analog pedal, and I know people tend to prefer analog pedals, but it's not a huge thing for me. Like I said, I really liked the sound. I might take my own bass in, because all the ones in the shops were wearing rounds etc, so I wanna see how it sounds with my bass.

It's $400NZD, so I'd like some opinions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

Slim
  2. Swift713

Swift713

The micro POG tracks very well. I find that analog octave pedals have more character but they don't track as well and aren't polyphonic. The octave up works very well but I don't like the way it sounds without some kind of dirt or filter after it.
  3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Its a great pedal, but not really the fattest bottom.

I just got an oc2 and a EBS octabass too..
    The EBS is pretty fat and interesting , and if you play higher in the frets it tracks quite well.
  4. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

I've found most analog octavers glitch out when holding a note longer than a 1/4 note. Not the micro POG since its digital. Sure the analog octavers sound "fatter" but I care much less about that than I do about getting the correct note.

I'd classify the micro POGs sound as having a tight bottom end, kind of like the lowest notes on a good piano, which just so happens to be a sound that I love!

I also found that the OC-2 had VERY little headroom. With the knobs maxed out, it was barely loud enough to be considered unity volume.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

[url="http://youtu.be/tFfCTxyq6Uo ]check this out, OC-2 vs EBS vs Micro POG [/url]
    good stuff, though I'd say that the Markbass seems like a REALLY badass octave thats not so on-the-map for whatever reason
  7. bassjam

bassjam

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    I posted this in another thread not long ago- Just my opinion....I always thought the Micro POG sounded a bit thin and sterile while playing solo at the house.It does have a thin bottom but it is tight. i tried several octave pedals and to me nothing tracked as well as the POG.It seems to track almost anything you throw at it and that thinner bottom end works well in a band mix I think. Some of the others I tried sounded better at home in my living room but seemed to get a bit jumbled in a band mix and would break up faster than the POG. Might be something to consider.Just my .02
  8. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Thanks for all the opinions, guys! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. It may take me some time, though. I tend to take ages to commit to buying anything, and even when I have it I'll feel bad for a while. Why? I dunno :p
  9. rjovin

rjovin

i looooove my pog! and with a fuzz before it it gets a really nice organ tone.