EHX MicroPog acting funny with Furman pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Engine207, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

I've had my MicroPog for a few years, and had it mounted on a really ghetto-looking DIY pedalboard. So I scored a really nice Furman SPB-8, with 8-9VDC outlets. A plugged it in with my pedals (Korg tuner, X2 wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer) into the Furman, using the patch cords, and it all seemed fine. After a few minutes of use, I got some really strange feedback-type sounds and I shut it all down to avoid any damage.

After a bit of isolation troubleshooting, I narrowed it down to the MicroPog. I tried using a wall wart, instead of going into the Furman, and it all worked fine, so I swapped out the patch cord, then tried using a different power outlets on the Furman. I got the harsh, squealy, echoey sound again. The only way it works properly is with the wart.

Now, I know I can simply use the wart and call it good, but I want this thing to work the way I intended it - with four small patch cords going to the four 9VDC power outlets, neatly coiled and velcroed down. I'm seriously OCD, and I need complete order and tidyness in my pedal world.:rolleyes: Besides, I need the 3-120VAC, 15A outlets for my Roland PK-5A, my E-MU synth module, and it's amp.

Any ideas about what may be going on? I tried using a polarity reverser, and it wouldn't even power the MicroPog up, so I assume the polarity is fine. I can probably make an audio recording of the harshness and SoundCloud it, if anybody needs to assault their ears to help diagnose it. Thanks, in advance!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

The micro-pog needs a lot of power, as in the mA rating; the furman obviously just does not have enough to run it.

(Look at the mA rating of all your pedals; added up, the total needs to be less than the rating the power supply has.)

3. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Yup, as stated on the site and in the manual, it requires its own isolated power. The furman is actually a daisy chain.

4. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Thanks, guys!

So...the 9V power outlets don't give me the power I need, but if I can free up one of the AC outlets (like the one I'm using for the amp), can I plug the wall wart into the Furman and get enough power for the MicroPog?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member