EHX Microsynth or Markbass Super Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shinyflavors7, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Shinyflavors7

Shinyflavors7

So I'm looking at both of these pedals, and I'm wondering if people here have a preference. I'm looking for something that going to give me a really dirty synth sound. Something like this.

I'm also thinking about putting some vocals through it, so if anyone has any experience with that.

thanks for the input all
  2. Down_Low

Down_Low

I have an EHX BMS, it isn't bad, but I've now replaced it with a combination of pedals (filter, fuzz, about to get an octave, etc). Much prefer this set-up.
  3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

For dirty synth I would say the bms, I have the old version in the past but too stupid and didnt know how much are they worth, I literally trade it with a red ripper by tech 21. Totally the biggest regret I have in my life.
  4. kevteop

kevteop

The Super Synth generates sawtooth waves, which have a very distinctive character - look them up and see if you like the sound of them. If you like them and you want them then get the Super Synth.

The Bass Micro Synth is very different. It's an analogue octaver plus an octave fuzz plus a fuzz circuit, all mixed with your input signal in whatever proportions you select and piped through quite a unique filter. It's more difficult to explain how this sounds, you'd really need to give one a try.

FWIW I think the older 24v Bass Micro Synth is one of the best bass effects ever made, but the newer 9v replacement doesn't have the same grunt and isn't as easy to use.
  5. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

I haven't used the BMS, so can't comment on it. I own the SS however, and never use it. Why? Too much trouble to hook it up to a computer to edit. There are a few knobs on the unit that you can use to over-ride the programmed settings. However, those settings are not saved so you can't for example balance the levels of your patches during band rehearsal unless you drag a computer along.

The SS could be a pretty awesome unit if it had an iPhone / Android editor... even if it would save knob settings with the patches that would make it so much more useful.

The other thing is that I no longer will buy anything that doesn't fit on a PT mini and take 9V power from a OneSpot. Too many great pedals sitting on my giant pedal board that rarely see the light of day. Not sure if the BMS will fit on a PT mini... but, my octaver / fuzz / filter setup sure does, and that's the setup that gets used! Worth saying that it's very nice to be able to use each of the three effects individually or in any combination. Many thanks to TB for turning me on to this combo.
  6. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

The tones in that clip are not the tones I would expect to get from the BMS. I've never owned a SuperSynth.

I think a HOG or POG into the right distortion might get you close, but it would take some tweaking.
  7. Down_Low

Down_Low

It does, although takes up a lot of room. A little better if turned sideways. Also needs its own 9 volt power supply.

[​IMG]