EHX Octave Multiplexer vs. Boss OC-2 vs. EHX Micro POG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Mar 31, 2014.

1. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

So here goes. When I gig, I prefer to have all my pedals set to the tone(s) I want and not have to adjust them as I play. I want to just be able to step on the pedal & get what I'm expecting to hear.
    That said, I have the Micro POG which I run octave up thru a Sansamp GT2 to cover ground that a 2nd guitarist might usually (my band has just 1). I love how that's working for me, but hate how when I want to use the octave down, I have to then dial in all new settings, then go back again when I need the octave up.
    So, I was thinking I'd get a separate pedal for octave down & I'd prefer to not have to spend all that money on another Micro POG. Now, I can get my hands on a OC-2, but don't really like it tonally or tracking wise as much as the octave down on the POG. So, I was wondering if the Multiplexer is very similar (tonally, etc.) to the POG or am I better off with the OC-2?
    Thoughts?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The Multiplex is analog- very different sounding, (better, I think), but comes with a new set of issues re: tracking.
  3. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

4. monkeybass68

5. alecduncan

alecduncan

I used an old, old Octave Multiplexer for a while and while I love the tone the tracking was absolutely horrible. I used it for a few of the less involved songs in our set. A real shame, because it's a lot sexier sounding to my ears than the OC-2
  6. monkeybass68

How does the tracking on the Multiplex compare to the Micro POG?
  7. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

The Octave Multiplexer will be much closer to the OC-2 in both tone and tracking than to the POG. The POG is digital and polyphonic, while the other two are old-school analog octave dividers.

If you want a digital polyphonic octaver that's cheaper, try to find a used Boss OC-3, and use it in Poly mode. That should be much more similar to the POG, both tonally and tracking-wise.
  8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

They do the mod on yours for $99.00 .... you send it to them
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you considered selling your Micro POG and getting a POG2. It has up to 8 preset settings you can store. You need an octave up for one part of the song, BAM, tap it to preset 1. You need an octave down for a part, tap the preset switch again, BAM, you got your 2nd preset. Its very easy to operate that way. If you are looking to do all this at once though, the POG2 will obviously not work for you. I have really good luck using the octave 1 on the OC2, even though its the first octave, its still pretty deep.

EDIT: The OC2 doesnt track ANYWHERE near as good as the POG pedals do. One is digital, the other analogue.
  10. monkeybass68

Cool!
  11. monkeybass68

I sent them a msg & asking how long it will take (since I don't wanna be without my Micro POG for too long)