EHX Q Tron Plus simple question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xkomo, Jan 19, 2014.

1. xkomo

xkomo

I am thinking to get an envelope filter. My No "1" choice would be 3Leaf Wonderlove but according to its price (especially here in Europe) and the fact that I am going to use the filter just for a subtle coloration, I will probably never get it. The No 2 choice would be the ehx qtron plus. I can stand its extra power supply but I don't know how big this is (and I searched a lot for this info).
    So could an owner of the qtron plus tell me about its dimensions?? (and his comments of course!!)

Thank you very much!!!

2. xkomo

xkomo

3. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

4. Swift713

Swift713

It's not small but it sounds great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd recommend getting a Source Audio Manta. I've tried just about every envelope filter, and IMO, the Manta beats them all.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

To me the Mutron is the king of all envelope filters and the q-tron is as close as you can get without breaking the bank. Mike Beigel who designed the Mu was involved with the q-tron.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, IMO, the Manta is better than my Mutron III, my WMD Superfatman and my Lovetone Meatball so I guess it's whatever you ilke best.

9. Swift713

Swift713

The frustrating thing about envelope filters is that the only way to know if you like it is to play it. Sound clips can't tell you what it feels like under your touch.

10. spufman

spufman

Swift713 is right. The bass and player make a big difference.

I definitely like the Q-Trons, though they're not subtle in my experience. And they're kinda big. A used Groove Regulator or Proton would be a good choice. They seem to go in the 120-140 range in the TB classifieds, which is very reasonable for the great quality, design and tone.

11. Swift713

Swift713

What would help the Qtrons out some would be a real blend. The 50/50 BP on the Mix mode is still pretty in your face. Sometimes a pretty subtle filter can add some juice to the bass without yelling "Look at me! Look at me!"