EHX superego or Freeze?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J03YW, Dec 27, 2012.

1. J03YW

J03YW

I want a retainer and the superego tickles my fancy sound wise, but all the demos are guitars. does it play well for the bass or should i save 100 buckaroos and get the freeze? sound clips of superego appreciated.

2. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Never tried the superego, but the freeze is one of those simple pedals that's really useful to me and will NEVER leave my board.

Really!

:D

3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Yeah, I keep looking at the Freeze and listening to clips... I really want one. The superego's cool too, but that Freeze.... yes.

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    From what I understand the superego is just a freeze with all the extra bells and whistles. So they should both work equally with bass. In which case it would depend on if you'd be using the extra features that the superego has. Or if the "bare-bones" freeze would do what you want to accomplish.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Bingo.

I got the SuperEgo a while ago. It has no loss on the bottom end, if that's what you're worried about. I don't use it a ton, and it mostly resides on my shelf. Sometimes I'll do solo stuff at open mics, and I'll break it out for that, but that's about the only time I use it. I'm sure that there are others that could get more use out of it. For me, it's sort of just a one trick pony, and I'll probably sell it soon.

I have some free time coming up, so maybe I'll make a quick video of it for bass. I'll post it up here if I do.

7. behndy

behndy

yah. it's a pimped out Freeze. the bonuses on the Ego are the Automatic setting in addition to the Temp and Latching, and the effects loop lets you do INTERESTING stuff.

you coud put a fuzz in the effects loops, send your captured audio through it, then play clean over it. pretty cool.

and i ****ing HATE EHX. but those two are neat.

8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

OK I want a SuperEgo! .... just checked it out. Freeze on Roids!

9. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

Handles bass just fine.

That being said, I found the super ego to be a very clever set of features that somehow just had bad/annoying tone. I was so enthused about it when I read about it and ordered one- it seemed to be all the cleverest features from the HOG in a standard sized box, and it is- but, to me, it just had this annoyingness to the sound I could get rid of. The guy I sold it to put it up for sale the day after he got it.

Hopefully I just have bad taste and you end up loving it.

10. J03YW

J03YW

swooped up the 'ego yesterday. ****ing amazing pedal if you throw chorus in it's loop. i need to try it with my octave pedal, but it's out of batts.

11. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Freeze is gone ... Ego coming!

12. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    If you want a drone pedal and you find the Freeze/ SuperEgo to be a little tricky to get ... right (for lack of a better way to put it), you might look into the Ravish Sitar. It has a drone with programmable 'sympathetic' notes, has exp. control over the drone, and can be frozen. It's a little tricky to use, though and will probably require some programming to get right.